Subject: RE: (ngtrans) questions about 6to4

From: Steve Deering <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 16:37:03 -0700

At 4:15 PM -0700 7/21/00, Brian Zill wrote:
>This is a great transition scenario.  Everyone who has at least one IPv4
>address automatically has a huge amount of globally routable IPv6 address
>space.

Not to disagree, but just to observe that there are many Internet
subscribers who do not have even one globally-unique IPv4 address --
they only get temporary use of one from a shared pool when they
"login to the Internet".

Steve

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 20:27:47 -0400

> they only get temporary use of one from a shared pool when they

right...though the addresses usually are globally-scoped, they're
just temporary.  those folks for whom temporary addresses are "good 
enough" can presumably run 6to4 over a dialup line and get temporary
IPv6 addresses.  

this would still be good enough, for instance, to allow my laptop 
to communicate over IPv6 (and reach IPv6-only hosts) when I'm on travel.  

Keith

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 04:22:04 +0200

In your previous mail you wrote:

   >address automatically has a huge amount of globally routable IPv6 address
   
=> *personally* I don't like 6to4 because this is far too close to
automatic tunnel / compatible address stuff which was proved to
be a bad idea.

=> you can easily change the shared-temporary IPv4 address for
a globally-unique IPv6 one (draft-ietf-ngtrans-hometun-00.txt).
IPv6 is for users at home too, even if they don't know it today...

Regards

[email-masked]

PS: perhaps I should present my draft at a ngtrans session and
implement it (:-)...

---

From: Paul Francis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 21:12:26 -0700

> automatic tunnel / compatible address stuff which was proved to

What, in a nutshell, was the problem?

PF

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 12:44:41 -0500

> What, in a nutshell, was the problem?

ErHum, 6to4 was designed to avoid the issues that
compatible addresses generated, mainly pollution of
the IPv6 routing tables with the IPv4 swamp.

  Brian