Subject: RE: (ngtrans) Fw: [apnic-announce] IPv6 Policy Document Revision

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 09:12:38 +0100

If /56 can be agreed upon as a default then that is not too bad IMO.
However, the RIRs seem to be veering towards allowing LIRs to allocate
whatever they choose between /48 and /64 - a movable boundary which will
scupper the technical objectives of multihoming and simplified
site-renumbering. I believe the idea of a movable boundary should be
strongly opposed for this reason.

Regards,

Mat Ford.

-----Original Message-----
From: Francis Dupont [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 07 July 2000 08:22
To: Brian E Carpenter
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Fw: [apnic-announce] IPv6 Policy Document
Revision 

 In your previous mail you wrote:

   Can you explain why people think there is any need to allocate anything
   longer than a /48 in the first place? 
   
=> many ISPs want to allocate /64 (or worse) to their customers... and
shout a /48 per customer is far too large. I believe this is a consequence
of the slow^N start, ie. the /35 rule (RIRs trim address space of ISPs,
ISPs take back the burden to their customers).
 The idea is to introduce a small site (/56) for "poor & little" customers
and to make it the *default* allocation. IMHO this is an acceptable target.

Regards

[email-masked]

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 09:47:54 -0500

Mat,

Exactly. A movable boundary (and its consequence, asking registries to make
judgement calls) is a proven enemy of route aggregation, renumbering,
and multi-homing. The lack of IPv4 addresses forced us into this situation,
as per RFC 2050. As Matt Crawford's calculation proves, there is nothing
forcing us into such a situation with IPv6. It's simple arithmetic.
Just allocate /48s. 

   Brian

[email-masked] wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
> IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
> FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
> Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
> --------------------------------------------------------------------