Subject: RE: (ngtrans) IPv6 Policy Document Revision suggestion

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 22:47:34 +0100

Just to complement Stuart's position

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	[email-masked] [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Thursday, July 13, 2000 3:48 PM
> To:	[email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
> [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
> [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject:	(ngtrans) IPv6 Policy Document Revision suggestion
> 
	From reading all the emails it seems that the /48 approach as the
*minimum* allocation is the way the IETF would like IPv6 deployment to
proceed.  However, as it has been demonstrated, the /35 allocations today
would only allow for 8,192 /48 per subTLA, and this is assuming that the
subTLA holder hasn't split up the NLA block so they can allocate to other
	providers, in which case this figure could be as small as 256 or
lower!!!!

> 	I see this as the reason why ISPs consider /48 for a home customer
> as too large, and hence the sliding-window & /56 discussion at the last
> RIPE
> meeting.
> 
> 
	Note that we recognise the benefits of /48 for multihoming/rehomeing
and maybe more importantly to make sure that IPv6 NAT will *never* become a
reality! Thus, as an ISP, we support /48 allocations if can be confident
that we can get enough of them; i.e.: we get /29s instead of /35s. 

> 	Now, if the /48 allocation is the way to proceed, I feel that all
> initial /35 allocations should be initially changed to /29 as the first
> step.  This can be done easily as all allocations have the /29 reserved to
> ensure a contiguous block.  However a /29 allows for 524,288 /48, again if
> the whole subTLA is used.  So at the same time the 80% utilisation section
> of the document needs to be worded correctly to allow ISPs to apply for
> subsequent subTLA's.
> 
	That is: the 80% (or whatever utilisation) to refer to the number of
/48s in a subTLA since ISPs will have no control over how and when our
customers, home users, SOHOs, mobile users are going to utilise their /48
prefix!

	Regards
	George