Subject: RE: (ngtrans) An IPv4 anycast address for 6to4<->6bone gateways

From: Christian Huitema <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 08:58:52 -0800

I just submitted a draft
(http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-huitema-6to4anycast-00.txt)
that proposes a practical solution to this problem. To quote the abstract,
"It requires that IANA assign a '6to4 Relay anycast prefix' from which 6to4
routers can derive the static '6to4 anycast address'. In order to enable
efficient management of the '6to4 Relay anycast prefix' in IPv4 inter-domain
routing, this memo also requests the reservation by IANA of a '6to4
Autonomous System ID.' With this definition, the proposed scheme guarantees
that 6to4 packets will be automatically routed to the nearest available
router. It allows the managers of the 6to4 relay routers to control the
sources authorized to use their resource. It makes it easy to set up a large
number of 6to4 relay routers, thus enabling scalability."

It would be nice to move quickly on this and actually get the IANA to
reserve the adequate netowrk prefix and AS number. Also, it would be nice to
get a spot in the NGTRANS agenda...

-- Christian Huitema

---

From: Bob Fink <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 09:34:36 -0800

Christian,

>get a spot in the NGTRANS agenda...

I've put you on the agenda for 10 mins.

Thanks,

Bob