Subject: (ngtrans) A message from DNSop

From: "Tony Hain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 09:46:30 -0800

For those who were at, or heard about the DNSop meeting yesterday, a
concern was raised about the potential impact of a proposed DNS
experiment, and desire to see a test plan. Below is a synopsis of the
issue. Please attend the 12/14 session for further information.

Tony 

===========================================
IPv6 DNS experiment 

There has been some discussion of running a separate public DNS root in
order to gain operational experience with the new DNS mechanisms
designed to support IPv6. While we (DNSop) understand that such an
experimental root would be limited both in purpose and duration, we are
concerned about data leaking from the experimental system via dual-stack
systems and contaminating the cache of old and widely deployed DNS
implementations that lack adequate protection against such cache
contamination. Consequently, in the absence of a strong technical
argument for why this testing must be performed in a separate public
system rather than in a subtree of the operational public DNS, and in
the absence of a detailed test plan that addresses the cache
contamination problem, we believe that it would be irresponsible to
perform this test in this way at this time. Details of the alternative
tests that we will be performing will be discussed at tomorrows NGTRANS
meeting.