Subject: (ngtrans) 6to4 relay router discovery consensus

From: Bob Fink <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 21:57:53 -0800

ngtrans folk,

At the ngtrans meeting today, there was discussion of three 6o4 relay 
router discovery mechanisms:

A 6to4 Relay anycast prefix- Christian Huitema
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-huitema-6to4anycast-00.txt>

6to4 scaling issues - Tony Hain
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hain-6to4-scaling-01.txt>

Tunnels end point in DNS - Alain Durand
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-durand-ngtrans-tunnel-endpoint-00.txt>

The proposal from Christian Huitema is based on the use of an ipv4 anycast 
address derived from a prefix specially allocated for the purpose (a /16 
possibly) and a special ASN.

The proposal from Alain Durand is based on the use of the DNS to store 
TEP's (Tunnel End Points).

The proposal from Tony Hain is an enhancement of Christian's.

The very strong consensus of the meeting was to support Christian's anycast 
approach over the DNS approach. It was agreed to quickly put this to the 
ngtrans list for consensus on this so we can proceed with the process of 
requesting the prefix and ASN.

Therefore, please send your comments to the list on this issue by 15 December.

Thanks,

Bob

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:48:06 -0600

I support the anycast approach.

  Brian