Subject: (ngtrans) I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ngtrans-bgp-tunnel-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 06:45:25 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Next Generation Transition Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Connecting IPv6 Domains across IPv4 Clouds with BGP
	Author(s)	: J. De Clercq, G. Gastaud, T. Nguyen, D. Ooms
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ngtrans-bgp-tunnel-00.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 09-Jan-01
	
This document specifies a mechanism for IPv6 islands to communicate
with each other over an IPv4 core network without explicit tunnel
setup, requiring only one IPv4 address (and a derived IPv4-compatible
IPv6 address) per IPv6 island or per set of IPv6 islands connected to
the same edge router. The hosts in the IPv6 islands can use native
IPv6 addresses.  The method uses MP-BGP in the edge routers to
exchange IPv6 reachability information between the IPv6 islands.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-bgp-tunnel-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ngtrans-bgp-tunnel-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-bgp-tunnel-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 11:12:51 -0600

>    The hosts in the IPv6 islands can have native IPv6 addresses, this is
>    different from e.g. 6to4 [6TO4], which requires that IPv4-
>    translatable addresses are allocated to the IPv6 hosts.

There seems to be some misunderstanding here. 6to4 actually requires
one routable IPv4 address per site, and there is no translation in any
shape or form.

6to4 is also designed to work in an environment where the ISP supporting the
site has no knowledge of or interest in IPv6, hence native IPv6 addresses
are not possible. 6to4 specifically describes the transition scenario
away from 6to4 once native addresses become possible.

That being said, the BGP description in the new draft is applicable to
6to4 (in fact it is one of the modes of use of 6to4, although not
the simplest).

I would suggest rewriting the above paragraph as

   The hosts in the IPv6 islands will have native IPv6 addresses. This is
   different from 6to4 [6TO4], which assumes that native addresses are
   not available and generates an IPv6 site prefix from a single routable
   IPv4 address assigned to each island. Otherwise, the BGP usage described
   here would work identically for 6to4.

       Brian

---

From: Dirk Ooms <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 11:31:58 +0100

Oops, 'IPv4-translatable address' should be '6to4 address' in the below
paragraph.  Thanks for pointing out Brian.  I have no problem with your
rewriting either.

dirk