Subject: (ngtrans) 6to4dns options

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 14:37:09 -0500

at the San Diego meeting, I talked about design choices for 6to4dns
asked for feedback as to which choices were preferable.  In particular,
I presented the following options for where the pseudo-records for
6to4 addresses could be generated.  the choices I presented were:

  (A) Authoritative servers generate new static records (based on
      existing records)

  (B) Pseudo-records generated by DNS zone servers

  (C) Pseudo-records generated by DNS resolvers

  (D) Pseudo-records inferred by client query libraries

I had assumed that (D) would be the best choice, but several of those
in attendance objected, claiming that it was infeasible to expect 
clients to upgrade their libraries to support 6to4 inverse address lookups.

Some people suggested other options as being preferable, but I couldn't
hear them well enough to understand which ones were being suggested.
Also, I couldn't tell if there were any consensus about this choice.

So I'd like to introduce the topic on the list - which of these choices
is preferable, and why?

Keith

(to refresh your memories, the I-D can be found at:

ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-moore-6to4-dns-01.txt

and the presentation can be found at

http://www.cs.utk.edu/~moore/Slides/6to4dns/sld001.html )