Subject: RE: (ngtrans) Re: I-D ACTION:draft-huitema-natreq4ipv6-00.txt

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 14:53:48 -0800

> Good stuff. I'm not sure it's compatible with configured 
> tunnels, however, if more than one host uses them simultaneously.

The solution that I propose will work if the internal IPv6 ends of
configured tunnels are ready to relay packets to each other, but there
is a problem in general with the use of configured tunnels through NATs
in general. This is similar to the problem of having VPN through NAT,
and the solutions are similar: use a tunnelling mechanism that includes
some form of tunnel identifier, so the NAT can easily demux. I think
that the simplest solution, that would work on all existing NATs, is to
tunnel over UDP.

-- Christian Huitema

---

From: Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:21:45 -0800

At 02:53 PM 2/20/2001 -0800, Christian Huitema wrote:
>  I think

Yes, this has been proposed a while ago... All we need is a volunteer to
write the IPv6 over UDP over IPv4 document ;-)

         - Alain.

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:55:08 -0500

> write the IPv6 over UDP over IPv4 document ;-)

I'm working on one; trying to get it out before the Feb 23 deadline.

Keith