Subject: (ngtrans) RFC 3056 on Connection of IPv6 Domains via IPv4 Clouds

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 16:57:27 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3056

        Title:	    Connection of IPv6 Domains via IPv4 Clouds 
        Author(s):  B. Carpenter, K. Moore
        Status:     Standards Track
	Date:       February 2001
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      23
        Characters: 54902
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ngtrans-6to4-07.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3056.txt

This memo specifies an optional interim mechanism for IPv6 sites to
communicate with each other over the IPv4 network without explicit
tunnel setup, and for them to communicate with native IPv6 domains
via relay routers.  Effectively it treats the wide area IPv4 network
as a unicast point-to-point link layer.  The mechanism is intended as
a start-up transition tool used during the period of co-existence of
IPv4 and IPv6.  It is not intended as a permanent solution.
 
The document defines a method for assigning an interim unique IPv6
address prefix to any site that currently has at least one globally
unique IPv4 address, and specifies an encapsulation mechanism for
transmitting IPv6 packets using such a prefix over the global IPv4
network.
 
The motivation for this method is to allow isolated IPv6 domains or
hosts, attached to an IPv4 network which has no native IPv6 support,
to communicate with other such IPv6 domains or hosts with minimal
manual configuration, before they can obtain natuve IPv6
connectivity.  It incidentally provides an interim globally unique
IPv6 address prefix to any site with at least one globally unique
IPv4 address, even if combined with an IPv4 Network Address
Translator (NAT).

This document is a product of the Next Generation Transition Working
Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 11:05:28 +0900

>        Title:	    Connection of IPv6 Domains via IPv4 Clouds 

	it looks that rfc-index.txt and rfc3056.txt diagrees about the title
	of the document (sorry if I'm seeing older files due to out-of-sync
	mirrors).

itojun

---

From: Bob Fink <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 08:37:01 -0800

Itojun,

>         of the document (sorry if I'm seeing older files due to out-of-sync

The 3056 as published uses the same title as recent drafts have:

"Connection of IPv6 Domains via IPv4 Clouds"

The IETF RFC index uses the odler longer title:

"Connection of IPv6 Domains via IPv4 Clouds without Explicit Tunnels"

Guess they should fix that. I have it wrong as well on my ngtrans project 
status page as well.

Thanks,

Bob

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 17:06:59 -0600

The short title is correct (change requested by IESG). I will tell RFC Ed.

  Brian