Subject: (ngtrans) 6overNAT draft

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 20:57:25 -0500

I've just submitted my first draft of "6 over NAT" to the 
Internet-Drafts folks, using the name draft-moore-6overNAT-00.txt.

folks who don't want to wait until it comes out via normal channels
may download it from 
http://www.cs.utk.edu/~moore/draft-moore-6overNAT-00.txt

note that at least as of sometime last year, one of the transport ADs was 
of the opinion that this work belongs in ipng rather than ngtrans.  
IMO to be successful it would need to be reviewed by folks in each of 
ipng, ngtrans and nat anyway.  So I'm not proposing this as work for ngtrans
at this time (let the chairs and ADs decide that), but at any rate I think 
it might be of interest to folks in this WG.

Keith

Abstract

This document describes a protocol (dubbed "6overNAT") for deploying
IP version 6 over a network which supports IP version 4 but cannot
(yet) natively support IP version 6.  The target network may be
separated from the public Internet by one or more network address
translators (NATs), and the target network may itself contain NATs.
This protocol is intended to allow IPv6-capable hosts on the private
network to be assigned globally unique and routable IPv6 addresses,
and to allow those hosts to exchange traffic with IPv6 hosts on the
public IPv6 Internet (or given suitable connections, on other private
IPv6 networks), without intervening translation of IPv6 addresses.

It is intended that this protocol should allow almost any IPv4-capable
enterprise network to begin using IPv6 over that network for a small
marginal cost and with little effort.