Subject: (ngtrans) IPv6 @ interim meeting

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 05:41:53 +0900

as a temporary measure I have configured tunnel to IIJ Palo Alto device.
	the IPv6 prefix for the meeting room is 3ffe:507:1ff::/64.

	it would be, of course, better to have ipv6 prefix from microsoft
	research :-)

itojun

---

From: Bill Manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 15:16:51 -0700 (PDT)

% 
% 	as a temporary measure I have configured tunnel to IIJ Palo Alto device.
% 	the IPv6 prefix for the meeting room is 3ffe:507:1ff::/64.
% 
% 	it would be, of course, better to have ipv6 prefix from microsoft
% 	research :-)
% 
% itojun

	The really cool thing about this is that the 3ffe:50:: prefix gets
	used all over the place and renumbering just happens(*). How many
	workshops/labs/conferences have used this prefix over the past
	couple of years?
	(*) (modulo those bits of infrastructure that hardcode address literals) 

--bill

---

From: Feico Dillema <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 00:33:41 +0200

> 	(*) (modulo those bits of infrastructure that hardcode address literals) 
Maybe a different prefix for each meeting would be more fun? The
prefix I got during my last IETF meeting stayed with me on my laptop in
deprecated state for weeks after it. By using sleep and hibernation
mode more often, we could start collecting prefixes as
meeting-souvenirs ;-}...

Feico.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 07:41:46 +0900

>	(*) (modulo those bits of infrastructure that hardcode address literals)

	not sure i got what you mean, but anyway...

	we have served a couple of IETFs, USENIX and Internet2 conferences,
	a lot of conferences/offsite meetings in Japan by using
	3ffe:50[17]::/24 and 2001:{18,20,24}0::/35.
	honestly, we do not really renumber from these temporary prefix to
	permanent ones, we just tear down these temporary prefixes and the
	conference network goes back to IPv4 only.  (i'm using my laptop
	as the router for the segment, so the connectivity goes away as
	soon as I go home...)

itojun

---

From: Jan Oravec <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 15:38:00 +0200

> 	(*) (modulo those bits of infrastructure that hardcode address literals) 

3ffe:50 = 3ffe:0050 - pTLA 3ffe::/24     - netname:      ROOT66
3ffe:507= 3ffe:0507 - pTLA 3ffe:500::/24 - netname:      WIDE

two different networks...

Jan

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 03:17:29 +0900

>	it would be, of course, better to have ipv6 prefix from microsoft

	today we've got a router operated by MS research guys, using 6to4.
	so my router have went away.
	2002:836b:2505:5::/64

itojun