Subject: (ngtrans) RFC 3089 on SOCKS-based IPv6/IPv4 Gateway Mechanism

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 08:43:55 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3089

        Title:	    A SOCKS-based IPv6/IPv4 Gateway Mechanism 
        Author(s):  H. Kitamura
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       April 2001
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Characters: 25193
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ngtrans-socks-gateway-06.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3099.txt

This document describes a SOCKS-based IPv6/IPv4 gateway mechanism
that enables smooth heterogeneous communications between the IPv6
nodes and IPv4 nodes.
 
It is based on the SOCKS protocol.  By applying the SOCKS
mechanism to the heterogeneous communications and relaying two
"terminated" IPv4 and IPv6 connections at the "application layer"
(the SOCKS server), the SOCKS-based IPv6/IPv4 gateway mechanism is
accomplished.
 
Since it is accomplished without introducing new protocols, it
provides the same communication environment that is provided by the
SOCKS mechanism.  The same appearance is provided to the heterogeneous
communications.  No conveniences or functionalities of current
communications are sacrificed.

This document is a product of the Next Generation Transition Working
Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.