Subject: RE: (ngtrans) 6to4 gateway / 6to4 relay router IPv4-compatible IPv6 address interoperability concern ...

From: "Dave Thaler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:31:20 -0700

Brian Carpenter wrote:
> Would it be useful to specify how the interface ID is formed?

I don't think it's necessary, no.

Would it be useful even if it isn't necessary?  I don't know.
It might make debugging marginally easier, but I don't think
it really makes much difference.

Also, Section 3.1 (which only talks about link-locals) refers
to RFC 2893 section 3.7, which does specify how the interface 
ID is formed.  So in some sense the 6to4 RFC does tell how the
router should generate an interface ID, although one could
argue the current language doesn't apply to global addresses.

-Dave

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:12:51 -0500

OK, so this goes on the list of possible changes if we progress
6to4 from Proposed Standard in due course.

   Brian

-- 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian E Carpenter 
Distinguished Engineer, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM 
On assignment for IBM at http://www.iCAIR.org 
Board Chairman, Internet Society http://www.isoc.org