Subject: RE: (ngtrans) 6to4 gateway / 6to4 relay router IPv4-compatible IPv6 address interoperability concern ...

From: "Dave Thaler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 18:23:08 -0700

Brian Zill is correct.  Windows XP (unlike the tech preview) does 
not expect 6to4 relays to have a v4-compatible address.  I've 
tested it with at least 5 different public relays I know of 
across the world, some which had v4-compatible addresses and
some which didn't.  Windows XP worked fine with all of them.

Also, I agree with the proposal to deprecate v4-compatible
addresses.  Some people may continue to use them, but I
believe there's nothing you can do with them that you can't 
do with other types of addresses (e.g., ISATAP).

Dave Thaler
IPv6 Development Lead
Windows Networking Division

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:52:24 -0500

Brian, Dave,

Would it be useful to specify how the interface ID is formed?

   Brian