Subject: RE: (ngtrans) Re: pTLA 3FFE:FFF0::/28 for test & example

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 11:44:30 -0700

I think it is a truly bad idea to combine the two purposes of "example"
and "test" in a single prefix. These are two different purposes, and the
solutions should be different.

The issue with "example" is to avoid two kinds of confusions: confusion
with an actually used prefix, that could bring unwanted traffic to an
unwilling network, and confusion with an available prefix, which could
lead naïve users into configuring their network with the example values.
The solution implies reserving a prefix and nixing it, i.e. making sure
that if a packet is sent to the prefix it is immediately dropped,
whatever the local configuration may be -- including in a test
configuration.

The requirement with "test" is temporary assignment: somehow reserve a
prefix to the tester for the duration of the test, making sure that this
prefix does not interfere with regular traffic and with other tests.
Most testers believe that they are operating in a sandbox, but we all
know the limits of sandboxing -- tests boxes are bound to leak, and
create problem. We have at least a partial solution with 6to4, which
allows any organization to create a prefix from a single global IPv4
address. We may need another solution for these testers who don't have
access to an IPv4 address; the solution should explain how different
sandbox can obtain a temporary prefix and release it when they are done,
e.g. by combining a well known TLA and a random NLA.

I believe that we need two drafts: the reservation of an example prefix
for the sole purpose of examples, and an informational document
explaining how to conduct tests.

-- Christian Huitema

---

From: Dave Marquardt <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Jun 2001 14:13:42 -0500

"Christian" == Christian Huitema <[email-masked]> writes:
Christian> We may need
Christian> another solution for these testers who don't have access to
Christian> an IPv4 address;

Doesn't everyone have access to 127.0.0.1?
-- 
Dave Marquardt
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Austin, TX
+1 512 401-1077