Subject: RE: (ngtrans) IPv64 specification (version 3)

From: "Arturo Azcorra" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 01:58:38 +0200

Tony,

I have worked over your comments and other received ones, and have tried to
incorporate them. The most relevant change I have introduced is to abandon the
usage of a new IPv6 header, and using instead a tunneled header format, while
keeping the advantages of the proposed transition mechanism.

As no changes to the IPv6 header are proposed in the current state of the draft,
I am sending this third version of the draft only to internet-drafts (for its
consideration for publication) and to the ngtrans group.

Please, find enclosed the third version of the IPv64 internet-draft, for its
consideration for publication.

Best regards, Arturo

Prof. Dr. Arturo Azcorra
Univ. Carlos III de Madrid
Avda. de la Universidad, 30
28911 Leganes (Madrid)
Email: [email-masked]
Tel: +34 91 6249993
Fax: +34 91 6248749
Mob: +34 609 147242

---

From: Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 11:26:13 -0700

> consideration for publication) and to the ngtrans group.

Arturo,

Please realize that the changes you are suggesting are substantial
and are very late in the game, many IPv6 implementation are
already  shipping.
Further more, I'm not convinced that the potential gains of your scheme outweigh
its costs as basically you are proposing is a variation on encapsulation.

    - Alain.