Subject: RE: (ngtrans) Update to Provider Independent addressing format drafts

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 07:28:14 -0700

Thank you, Brian. renumbering a two-router, three-host lab setup is one
thing.

Renumbering a 100-router, 300-server, 24x7 $1M/day revenue generating
room is quite another one.

Michel.

> From: Brian E Carpenter [mailto:[email-masked]]
>
> Tony, for several years now we have talked about making renumbering
> *significantly easier*, not making it fully automatic.
>
> But the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and nobody has tried
> that yet on any significant scale.
>
>  Brian

>>> Tony Li wrote:
>>>
>>> I have to admit to considerable amusement to see people arguing that
>>> renumbering in V6 is too painful.
>>>
>>> Tony

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 11:01:10 -0400

> room is quite another one.

I've been involved with renumbering of ~300 IPv4 machines of widely varying
platforms, in less than an hour, on multiple occasions.   It took prior 
planning, a bit of coding, and a mechanism for quickly finding the machines 
on which the renumbering failed.  But it wasn't rocket science.

If we had standard tools to do this it would be even easier.  

Keith

---

From: Dancer Vesperman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 17:11:18 +1100

> If we had standard tools to do this it would be even easier.  

Agree. Unless your IT-plan is one of those organic messes, it's no 
biggie. A couple of minutes per machine usually suffices, with some 
slightly longer times where there are spaghetti systems installed. It 
certainly takes less time than the network vendor trying to figure out 
why their system isn't working, in my experience.

D

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 09:37:50 +0200 (EET)

> why their system isn't working, in my experience.

Renumbering is MUCH more than just changing addresses in _your_ systems.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords

---

From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 08:27:02 -0600

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Pekka Savola" <[email-masked]>
> Renumbering is MUCH more than just changing addresses in _your_ systems.

With proper and fair address space management, people should not have
to be concerned about being faced with renumbering and the costs of that.

Do you use a 2002:<IPv4>:0000 prefix ?

http://www.dot-arizona.com/IPv8/IPv4/
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/msg12213.html

[email-masked]
http://www.unir.com
http://www.unir.com/images/architech.gif
http://www.unir.com/images/headers.gif
http://www.unir.com/images/address.gif
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt
http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/sdks/platform/tpipv6/start.asp
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/msg12213.html
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/msg12223.html