Subject: (ngtrans) Testing Shipworm

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 11:19:59 -0800

Our development team is getting ready to test Shipworm. Pending formal
IANA assignment, we are testing with the following parameters:

	Shipworm IPv6 service prefix: 2003::/16
	Shipworm IPv4 anycast address: 131.107.0.36
	Shipworm UDP port: 337

In the experimental setup, we don't use a /24 shipworm IPv4 anycast
prefix, which limits our possibility to announce a shipworm specific
prefix in IPv4 BGP routing. However, Microsoft does announce
131.107.0.0/16, which means that our server will be reachable by other
experimenters. Be careful with the load, though; if an ISP wants to
experiment with the service, we suggest that they set up a local
Shipworm server at 131.107.0.36:337 and advertise a host route to
131.107.0.36 within their network.

These parameters are clearly experimental, and are very likely to change
once we get formal values assigned by IANA. We will be using a DNS entry
to advertise the values in use. The name of the entry is
"teredo.ipv6.microsoft.com". ("Teredo navalis" is the proper zoological
name of the shipworm.) In this domain, a single A record documents the
Shipworm IPv4 anycast address, and a single AAAA record documents the
Shipworm IPv6 anycast address, from which IPv6 prefix, IPv4 anycast
address and UDP port can be retrieved. The initial values are:

	teredo.ipv6.microsoft.com IN A (ttl) 131.107.0.36
	teredo.ipv6.microsoft.com IN AAAA (ttl) 2003:836B:24:151::

The experiment will have an effect on existing IPv6 network, in
particular on the 6Bone. 6Bone hosts may see traffic from IPv6 nodes
with a source address in the 2003::/16 range. To ensure that the
communications can be established, we are setting up an experimental
Shipworm relay, and we are announcing a route to 2003::/16 to the 6Bone.

-- Christian Huitema

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 15:26:36 -0800

> 	Shipworm IPv4 anycast address: 131.107.0.36

cool!  we should have great fun, as i am hijacking that same space for
a different experiment.

isn't hijacking fun!!!  and our expenses will go down now that we no
longer need the iana or registries.

oh, and next week, we're going to conduct a bunch of ipv4 routing
experiments announcing various prefixes in 207.46.192.0/18.  i'm sure
no one will mind.

randy