Subject: (ngtrans) Re: Renaming Shipworm as Teredo?

From: Bob Fink <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 10:53:44 -0800

Christian,

At 10:28 AM 12/19/2001 -0800, Christian Huitema wrote:
>One of the comments I often get on the name Shipworm is that it evokes
>malicious software such as Nimda or Ramen, that we don't really need
>another worm in the Internet, and that many will refuse to use this name
>in product documentation. In short, many people would like to see us use
>another name.

As much as I liked the cuteness (and possibly aptness) of SHIPWORM, I do 
agree it confuses folk and makes some wary as to what it is. I support a 
name change.

>I would like to propose an alternative name, "Teredo" -- as the beast's
>zoological name is "Teredo Navalis". Can we agree on that?

As for TEREDO, it could work. I'll go with the consensus on this one.

Bob

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 10:17:37 +0100

There might just be a trademark issue (http://www.teredo.com/) but
otherwise, fine by me.

   Brian