Subject: (ngtrans) ngtrans status report

From: Bob Fink <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 22:54:10 -0800

NGtrans Folk,

Here is some recent status information about ngtrans projects:

NATRQ4IPv6 has been withdrawn as a project by Christian Huitema

HOMETUN has been withdrawn as a project by Francis Dupont

BIA (Bump In the API) has been changed from Informational to Experimental 
to allow for two different approaches to be experimented with. BIA will 
soon be last called for forwarding

BGP-TUNNEL has been changed from Informational to Standards Track due to 
the recent addition of an approach that requires standardization. 
BGP-TUNNEL will be passed thru the IDR working group for comment as it is 
last called for forwarding

SHIPWORM is still at the IESG under review, and we are told that we may 
soon expect IESG comments back.

Also, Alain will soon be circulating our new charter for comments before we 
forward to the IESG.

Part of this new charter includes efforts to: "Document operational 
requirements and recommended practises for major pieces of the Internet 
infrastructure in a mixed world of IPv4 only, IPv6 only and dual stack 
nodes." We chairs are working on outlining these activities in preparation 
for figuring out how to get this work done in a timely fashion. Stay tuned.

This is not all the ngtrans project activity underway, but we thought you 
should know that things are moving along. We will keep the list up to date 
as we go.

Thanks,

Bob, Tony and Alain
your chairs

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 09:28:40 +0200 (EET)

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Bob Fink wrote:
[snip]
> last called for forwarding

I recall Alain asking the authors of BGP tunneling mechanisms to justify 
their solutions:

--8<--
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 10:53:39 -0700
From: Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
To: ngtrans <[email-masked]>
Subject: (ngtrans) BGP-tunnels and connect-ipv6-igp

Stepping back a little, we now have 2 set of proposals to address the
issue of scaling tunnel set-up during transition.

a) 6to4 + isatap                                                     
b) BGP-tunnel + connect-ipv6-igp                 

As work in the general direction of a) has started long time ago and is well
on its way, I would like to suggest the authors of b) to come up with some
rationale/applicability statements that would help the working group
to understand better how to position b) in regards to a)
--8<--

There were no follow-ups.

Has this been discussed in the last meeting, off-list, or when the
decision to stardardize (would experimental be better, anyway?) BGP
tunneling was made?

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords