Subject: RE: (ngtrans) isatap-03

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 17:01:48 -0800

> Implementing a DNS stub resolver to do DNS resolution over IPv4 one
> particular
> application and over IPv6 for the others is difficult, so clearly an
> ISATAP
> node will very probably always perform DNS resolution over IPv4
> and if ISATAP is deployed widely, it could become an obstacle to
> the deployment of DNS resolution over IPv6.

Alain,

Isn't this is a generic issue with all "parallel stack" transition
schemes? As long as you have IPv4 deployed, the resolver is going to
have access to DNS over IPv4. The key is to enable this resolver to also
use IPv6 when available. The test would then be based on the
availability of a AAAA record for a name server: if available, use IPv6,
else, use IPv4.

-- Christian Huitema

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 20:32:54 -0500

> The test would then be based on the

Actually, I'm finding that the "use IPv6 in preference to IPv4"
strategy biases users against IPv6, because the IPv6 path (typically
via configured tunnels and/or 6to4 relay routers) is often slower.
I suspect this would be as true for access to DNS servers as for
applications. 

Keith