Subject: Re: (ngtrans) I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ngtrans-bia-02.txt

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 12:28:37 +0200 (EET)

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 [email-masked] wrote:
> This document specifies a mechanism of dual stack hosts using a
> technique called 'Bump-in-the-API'(BIA) which allows for the hosts to
> communicate with other IPv6 hosts using existing IPv4 applications. The
> goal of this mechanism is the same as that of the Bump-in-the-stack
> mechanism [BIS], but this mechanism provides the translation method
> between the IPv4 APIs and IPv6 APIs. Thus, the goal is simply achieved
> without IP header translation.

I read this on a flight.  The draft in itself appears to be quite nice,
but some issues with BIS seem to be a little dubious (e.g. the management
of IPv4 address pool).

One specific comments on applicability / limitations: the draft seems to 
assume that DNS is always used, and this is integral in the mapping.   In 
practise this is not a huge problem as often the application's address 
parser wouldn't accept the syntax of numerical IPv6 addresses anyway (and 
it isn't good practise to use those).  But it might be useful to think 
whether a note regarding this is worth adding.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords

---

From: Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 17:37:57 -0800

>whether a note regarding this is worth adding.

Pekka,

This draft is candidate for experimental because we believe
that there might be operational issues/limitations that need to be clarified.
I would suggest to forward this document as is now and
when we will have more implementation feedback, it will be time
to revisit this document and fix the remaining issues for publication
as Informational.

	- Alain
--