Subject: [Fwd: (ngtrans) I-D ACTION:draft-shin-ngtrans-dstm-ports-00.txt]

From: Myung-Ki Shin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 09:09:53 +0900

Ngtrans folks,

I have submiited a new draft for ports option in DSTM.

The goal of this draft is to allow a DSTM server to provide a range
of port numbers to be used by a client, as an extension to the
address allocation process.
This would allow the use of the same IPv4 address by several DSTM nodes
at the same time, reducing the size of the required IPv4 address pool.

The topic have been discussed with DSTM authors since the IETF-50.
(I presented basic idea at the IETF-50.)
It was discussed to publish as a seperate document
(from main DSTM spec.).

I wait for your comments and input.

Thanks,
Myung-Ki.

Subject: (ngtrans) I-D ACTION:draft-shin-ngtrans-dstm-ports-00.txt
From: [email-masked]
To: IETF-Announce: ;
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 06:23:06 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Ports Option Support in DSTM
	Author(s)	: M. Shin et al.
	Filename	: draft-shin-ngtrans-dstm-ports-00.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 22-Feb-02
	
As an extension to the address allocation process for DSTM, this
document defines the ports option for DSTM.  A DSTM server may also
provide a range of port numbers to be used by the client. This
would allow the use of the same IPv4 address by several DSTM nodes
at the same time, reducing the size of the required IPv4 address
pool.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-shin-ngtrans-dstm-ports-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-shin-ngtrans-dstm-ports-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-shin-ngtrans-dstm-ports-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 15:49:13 +0200 (EET)

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Myung-Ki Shin wrote:

4. DSTM Host Requirements

==> this should be DSTM Node Requirements, right?

More generic comments:

I think this is opening a huge can of worms: DSTM nodes talking to each
other, applications selecting ports from non-allocated range, etc.  It
would be much easier to just insist on providing private addresses via
DSTM and performing IPv4 NAT if there is not a sufficient amount of
addresses available.

How does DSTM server get a confirmation from DSTM Node that it will honor 
the ports option?

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords

---

From: Myung-Ki Shin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 10:06:19 +0900

> ==> this should be DSTM Node Requirements, right?

    Yes, thanks.

> other, applications selecting ports from non-allocated range, etc.

   Ports option has a few restrictions as you pointed.
   I already mentioned some issues and solutions on applicability in section
8.

   I also think I need to specify more clearly the applicability of our idea.

> It

   No.
   One of DSTM benefits is to provide end-to-end connectivity without
   translation.

    I believe ports option in DSTM allows the use of the
    same IPv4 address by several DSTM nodes at the same time,
    continuing end-to-end connectivity,
    as well as reducing
    the size of the required IPv4 address pool.  (similar to NAPT-PT in
NAT-PT)

> How does DSTM server get a confirmation from DSTM Node that it will honor

   It is depedent on implementation.

   For example,  I think
   if DHCPv6 server is used, DHCPv6 client should send the Release message
   including 'status = in use'.

   Thanks,
   Myung-Ki.

---

From: Myung-Ki Shin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:02:07 +0900

Myung-Ki Shin wrote:

>    It is depedent on implementation ~

      on DSTM server's address allocation process (DHCPv6, RPCv6, etc).

>    including 'status = in use'.

      (if there is a conflict on proposed port range,)

     Thanks,
     Myung-Ki.