Subject: (ngtrans) ISATAP & RFC2219

From: Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:19:54 -0600

From RFC2219:

    It should be understood by implementors that the existence of a DNS
    entry such as

         www.hivnet.fr

    does not constitute a registration of a World-Wide Web service.
    There is no requirement that the domain name resolve to an IP address
    or addresses.  There is no requirement that a host be listening for

    HTTP connections, or if it is, that the HTTP server be running on
    port 80.  Finally, even if all of these things are true, there can be
    no guarantee that the World-Wide Web server will be prepared to honor
    requests from arbitrary clients.

    Having said this, the aliases do provide useful "hints" about the
    services offered.  We propose that they be taken in this spirit.

RFC2219 provides "hints" about services, it is not a general service 
location mechanism

	- Alain.

--