Subject: (ngtrans) RE: get rid of IPv4 compatibles?

From: "Dave Thaler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 22:36:39 -0800

Antonio Querubin writes:
> If it is how about just defining mapped multicast addresses already?
[...]
>    |                80 bits               | 16 |      32 bits        |
>    +--------------------------------------+--------------------------+
>    |0000..............................0000|FFFF|IPv4 multicast group |
>    +--------------------------------------+----+---------------------+

This has been discussed before, and the above format is illegal, since
all multicast addresses must begin with 0xFF, not 0x00.

I think someone did once propose a format which was out of the legal
multicast space.

-Dave

---

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 10:15:21 -0500

> I think someone did once propose a format which was out of the legal

And one of the biggest issues we had with that proposal was that there
was no easy way to map an IPv4 scoped multicast address into a
corresponding IPv6 scoped multicast address.

Brian