Subject: [Fwd: (ngtrans) I-D ACTION:draft-many-ngtrans-connect-ipv6-igp-01.txt]

From: Damien Galand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 14:58:04 +0100

Draft release 01

Comments are welcome

-Damien
--------------------------------------
Abstract

This draft proposes a mechanism that allows an  incremental deployment
of IPv6 inside an IPv4 AS. It aims at automatically set up tunnels,
using IGP standard capabilities, in order to gradually introduce IPv6
connectivity within an initially IPv4 AS. As specified in
draft-ietf-ngtrans-introduction-to-ipv6-transition-07.txt, this
technique must be considered as a solution with a scope of domain.

---------------------------------------

-- Original Message --------
From: [email-masked]
Subject: (ngtrans) I-D ACTION:draft-many-ngtrans-connect-ipv6-igp-01.txt
To: IETF-Announce: ;
CC: [email-masked]

--NextPart

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Connecting IPV6 islands within a same IPV4 AS
        Author(s)       : G. Cristallo et al.
        Filename        : draft-many-ngtrans-connect-ipv6-igp-01.txt
        Pages           :
        Date            : 01-Mar-02

This draft proposes a mechanism that allows an  incremental deployment
of IPv6 inside an IPv4 AS. It aims at automatically set up tunnels,
using EGP standard capabilities, in order to gradually introduce IPv6
connectivity within an initially IPv4 AS. From a scope point of view,
this technique must be considered as an intermediary between ISATAP and
interdomain techniques ([6to4], [BGP-tunnel]).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-many-ngtrans-connect-ipv6-igp-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
        "get draft-many-ngtrans-connect-ipv6-igp-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
        [email-masked].
In the body type:
        "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-many-ngtrans-connect-ipv6-igp-01.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
        exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
        "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
        up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
        how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

--NextPart
Content-Type: Multipart/Alternative; Boundary="OtherAccess"

--OtherAccess
Content-Type: Message/External-body;
        access-type="mail-server";
        server="[email-masked]"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:     <[email-masked]>

ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-many-ngtrans-connect-ipv6-igp-01.txt

--OtherAccess
Content-Type: Message/External-body;
        name="draft-many-ngtrans-connect-ipv6-igp-01.txt";
        site="ftp.ietf.org";
        access-type="anon-ftp";
        directory="internet-drafts"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:     <[email-masked]>

--OtherAccess--

--NextPart--

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 16:40:24 +0200 (EET)

Why not ISATAP [or BGP-tunneling, sigh]?

Personally I really don't see why we need a lot of really specific
solutions when ones we already have provide almost everything anyone would
need.  Soon ngtrans will be a dump of everything fancy like some say MPLS
is. 

I think this kind of "micro-specifying" is just drawing the attention from
the really important issues, like getting on with the transition and
fixing (possible) issues in current transition toolbox.

Detailed comments to the draft later.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords