Subject: RE: (ngtrans) The fundamental AutoIPv6 question

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 11:05:00 -0800

Dan,

Your solution addresses the case where a host has an IPv6 stack and an
IPv4 address but does not have a AAAA record. It is not very convincing:
the host can make up an address using 6to4 and advertise it as a AAAA
record. On the other hand, there will be many hosts during the
transition that do not have an IPv6 stack; trying to contact them using
6to4 would be very much useless. For reaching these hosts from an IPv6
only node, we should use other techniques, such as NAT-PT.

-- Christian Huitema

---

From: "D. J. Bernstein" <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Mar 2002 20:01:09 -0000

Christian Huitema writes:
> record.

Wrong. The host doesn't control its own DNS entries. The administrator
might, but the administrator isn't going to spend time at your whim.

Welcome to the real world.

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago