Subject: Re: (ngtrans) ngtrans w.g. Last Call on BGP-TUNNEL-04 for PS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 16:21:13 +0100

Pekka,

Coming back to a point you made earlier regarding "the signaling of the
encapsulation type".  This is indeed a valid point and after some
discussion with the other co-authors we want to addres it as follows:

In PPVPN there is work ongoing on a new BGP extended community: Tunnel
Type (see draft-rosen-ppvpn-ipsec-2547-00.txt).  This extended community
permits the egress PE to specify which tunnel type MUST be used.  In the
bgp-tunnel draft we want to specify which tunnel type must be used in
the absence of this Tunnel Type extended community.  The rules we
propose are:

1. If a labeled route is advertised (an advertisement with SAFI 4 or
128), the default tunnel must be MPLS
2. If an unlabeled route is advertised (SAFI is not 4 or 128), the
default tunnel must be IP-in-IP.

Thanks for bringing up this point.

dirk

> Is this really standards track material?  Wouldn't experimental or
> informational be better?  For example, encapsulation type isn't specified
> or signalled, so I fail to see how implementation and practise would be
> interoperable (clearly, in one domain manual configuration to one
> encapsulation type is required, but what about if there is a border router
> between two clouds with different encapsulation) -- or perhaps this needs
> clarification?
> 
> --
> Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
> Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
> Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords

-- 
Dirk Ooms                       mailto:[email-masked]
                                tel:+32 3 2404732
Network Strategy Group (NSG)    http://aww.alcatel.com/nsg
Alcatel                         http://www.alcatel.com

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 18:33:31 +0200 (EET)

> default tunnel must be IP-in-IP.

What about GRE tunneling?  (Or others, possibly defined in the future)?