Subject: (ngtrans) Review of draft-ietf-ngtrans-mtp-01.txt

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:51:38 -0400

The following are comments on draft-ietf-ngtrans-mtp-01.txt.  I
apologize for not getting them to the list sooner.

     1. The discussion of MTP talks about header translation, but
        does not discuss the use of ALGs to handle multicast apps
        that include IP addresses in the application layer.  Those
        addresses may be unicast or multicast.  How will MTP deal
        with those?

     2. Has anyone done an analysis on how the translations will
        affect RTP/RTCP feedback?

     3. This draft needs some more work on fragment handling.
        Will an MTP node perform fragment re-assembly on the
        packets before doing the translation?

     4. Section 3.1 and 3.2 talk about an administrator doing
        configuration prior to a multicast data flow.  How
        will that work if the applications being used are
        learning the multicast address from SDR? webpages?
        DNS?

     5. If the MTP node needs an administrator to do config before
        it can translate, who will notify the receivers as to what
        multicast address to join?

     6. In section 4 there needs to be more concrete definitions.
        How does the MTP node know if an address is "well-known"?
        Does it keep a static list so it knows how to set 'x'?

Regards,
Brian