Subject: (ngtrans) RE: I-D ACTION:draft-soininen-ngtrans-3gpp-cases-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 12:43:32 -0700

Hi Pekka,

thank you for you comments. Some answers/comments bellow:

> -----Original Message-----
> From: ext Pekka Savola [mailto:[email-masked]]
> 
> 
> > A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> > 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-soininen-ngtrans-3gpp-cases-00.txt

A few comments:

Abstract  
    
   This document describes different scenarios in Third Generation
   Partnership Project (3GPP) defined packet network, i.e. General 
   Packet Radio Service (GPRS) [...]

==> If you only consider GPRS, why name the document '3GPP Networks'?

JSo: GPRS is the name of the packet switched side of the 3GPP System. Thus, the only part of the 3GPP System that is really applicable in this context. (The 'other part' would be cirquit switched domain of 3GPP, but that does not seem relevant.)

==> It is not absolutely clear to me why UMTS would not require some 
transitional mechanisms too (e.g. IPv6 -> IPv4).  However, I don't know 
the architecture well enough to really comment on it.

 2) IPv6 UE connecting to an IPv6 node through an IPv4 network

   Especially in the first stages of IPv6 deployment, there are cases
   where an IPv6 node would need to connect to the IPv6 Internet through
   a network that is IPv4. For instance this can be seen in current
   fixed networks, where the access is provided in IPv4 only, but there
   is an IPv6 network deeper in the Internet.

   In this case, in the GPRS system, the UE would be IPv6 capable, and
   the GPRS network would be IPv6 capable of providing an IPv6 capable
   GGSN in the network. However, the operator only has an IPv4 network
   as such.

==> you're making assumptions how GPRS network would be built?  Would it
be possible that GPRS network would be v4-only (except for GGSN), but UE's
IPv6-only?  Again, this might just be my lack of knowledge on 3GPP 
networks.

JSo: It was tried not to make assumptions. However, rather just document what the possibilitites are. Now that I read the wording again, it might not be very clear: In this scenario, the UE and the GGSN are the only IPv6 capable equipment in the network. (GGSN is the default router for the UE, and thus, the first node in the network that the UE sees.) Everything else is IPv4.

Cheers,

Jonne.

PS. I would think that you should be home feeling ill today as it is Wappu in Finland; not be writing mails... ;)

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 09:11:25 +0300 (EEST)

On Wed, 1 May 2002 [email-masked] wrote:
> JSo: GPRS is the name of the packet switched side of the 3GPP System.
> Thus, the only part of the 3GPP System that is really applicable in this
> context. (The 'other part' would be cirquit switched domain of 3GPP, but
> that does not seem relevant.)

Ok.  People associate the name 'GPRS' with something else, though..

> JSo: It was tried not to make assumptions. However, rather just document
> what the possibilitites are. Now that I read the wording again, it might
> not be very clear: In this scenario, the UE and the GGSN are the only
> IPv6 capable equipment in the network. (GGSN is the default router for
> the UE, and thus, the first node in the network that the UE sees.)
> Everything else is IPv4.

GGSN being the default router ie. the first-hop router, certainly 
clarifies this scenario.