Subject: (ngtrans) Re: I-D ACTION:draft-soininen-ngtrans-3gpp-cases-00.txt

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 18:14:31 +0300 (EEST)

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 [email-masked] wrote:
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
> 
> 	Title		: Transition Scenarios for 3GPP Networks
> 	Author(s)	: J. Soininen et al.
> 	Filename	: draft-soininen-ngtrans-3gpp-cases-00.txt
> 	Pages		: 6
> 	Date		: 22-Apr-02
> 	
> This document describes different scenarios in Third Generation 
> Partnership Project (3GPP) defined packet network, i.e. General 
> Packet Radio Service (GPRS) that would need IP version 6 and IP 
> version 4 transition. The focus of this document is on the scenarios 
> where the User Equipment (UE) connects to nodes in other networks, 
> e.g. in the Internet. GPRS network internal transition scenarios, 
> i.e. between different GPRS elements in the network, are out of scope 
> of this document.   
> The purpose of the document is to list the scenarios for further 
> discussion and study.
> 
> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-soininen-ngtrans-3gpp-cases-00.txt

A few comments:

Abstract  
    
   This document describes different scenarios in Third Generation
   Partnership Project (3GPP) defined packet network, i.e. General 
   Packet Radio Service (GPRS) [...]

==> If you only consider GPRS, why name the document '3GPP Networks'?

==> It is not absolutely clear to me why UMTS would not require some 
transitional mechanisms too (e.g. IPv6 -> IPv4).  However, I don't know 
the architecture well enough to really comment on it.

 2) IPv6 UE connecting to an IPv6 node through an IPv4 network

   Especially in the first stages of IPv6 deployment, there are cases
   where an IPv6 node would need to connect to the IPv6 Internet through
   a network that is IPv4. For instance this can be seen in current
   fixed networks, where the access is provided in IPv4 only, but there
   is an IPv6 network deeper in the Internet.

   In this case, in the GPRS system, the UE would be IPv6 capable, and
   the GPRS network would be IPv6 capable of providing an IPv6 capable
   GGSN in the network. However, the operator only has an IPv4 network
   as such.

==> you're making assumptions how GPRS network would be built?  Would it
be possible that GPRS network would be v4-only (except for GGSN), but UE's
IPv6-only?  Again, this might just be my lack of knowledge on 3GPP 
networks.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords