Subject: (ngtrans) Public Announcement - Bell Labs IPv6 Probing Experiments

From: "Daniel G Waddington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 09:18:08 -0400

PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT - BELL LABS IPv6 PROBING EXPERIMENTS

To all 6Bone users and network administrators:

Bell Laboratories, NJ, is currently performing experiments in IPv6 network
topology discovery that involves sending a number of source routed IPv6
probe packets (from 3ffe:2900:c00c:1102:210:5aff:fe9e:9e3b) into the 6Bone
network.  This is purely a research experiment aimed at collecting router
topology information about the 6Bone network.  The data that we are
collecting from the network will hopefully help us, and the rest of the IPv6
community, to better understand the nature of large scale IPv6 deployment
(e.g. effects of tunnelling on routing infrastructure).  Some of you may
already have noticed that we have been dispatching probes on and off for the
last 3 months on to the 6Bone network.  Since this is an experimental
infrastructure overseen by the IETF, the results will be made publically
available to the IETF community in the coming months on
www.ipv6.bell-labs.com.

If you do not wish to be part of this experiment, then given your router
addresses we can eliminate you from the search space.  However, we
can assure you that probe traffic will be kept to a minimum and that once we
have a complete set of data, the experiments will be performed less
frequently.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions or
issues to raise on this matter.

Sincerely Yours,

Daniel G. Waddington
Networking Research Lab
Bell Laboratories, Lucent Technologies