Subject: (ngtrans) draft-hallin-natpt-dns-alg-solutions-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 14:45:11 +0200

Hello,

a new version of draft-hallin-natpt-dns-alg-solutions-01 is now available in the I-D directories.

Regards,
Per Hallin

---

From: Senthil Sivakumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 14:04:19 -0700 (PDT)

Some comments..

Section 2.2
Case 3 & 4 can solve the problem with minimal complexity and latency, IMO.
As RFC 2766 suggests, two requesets are sent,  a AAAA and
a A, but if we get a A response which has the answer or AAAA with no
answer, only then the response is held by NAT-PT. In all other cases NAT-PT
will forward the response.

In cases 1 & 2, you are always forwarding only the AAAA and if it comes up
empty you would send a A which increases the latency. Some DNS clients
might timeout because of this.

2.3
I agree that NAT-PT doesnt have to be the default router. But if a IPv6
only host resolved the name using a non- NAT-PT box, the subsequent
packets that traverse through NAT-PT might not be translated because
NAT-PT does not have a translation. But NAT-PT could just strip off the 96
bit destination prefix and do the necessary sanity checking for the
validity of the 32 bit v4 address and forward the packet.

3.2
You may want to mention that if additional RR's in a DNS packet could not
be translated because of lack of rules, you could remove the additional
RR's and still send the packet.

It appears all the issues raised in natpt-dns-alg-issues are addressed
expect for DNS-SEC.

Senthil