Subject: (ngtrans) draft-wiljakka-3gpp-ipv6-transition-00.txt

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 03:46:16 +0200 (CEST)

What I didn't get to say at the mike due to lack of time:

Perhaps I'm misreading the words in the recommendations in section 6:

    2) "IPv6 in IPv4" tunneling should mainly be handled in the 
    network, not in the UEs. 

    5) The IPv4 / IPv6 interworking should be mainly handled in the 
    network, not in the UEs. 

The above two points seem to say that translation is preferred over tunneling.

I personally think the opposite is the case; tunneling, whether involving
the UE or not should always be preferred over any translation scheme
(whether NAT*, SIIT, or ALGs), because translation approaches provides
an e2e IP path (whether it is an e2e IPv4 or an e2e IPv6 path).

  Erik

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 21:56:59 -0400

Hi Erik,

>an e2e IP path (whether it is an e2e IPv4 or an e2e IPv6 path).

I personally agree with you. 

However, this choice depends on what your priorities are.  There is a 
lot of focus in 3GPP on conserving "air" bandwidth.

We are basically choosing between two bad things:

         - Wasting a certain amount of air bandwidth
         - Sacrificing E2E connectivity

The choice of translation may accurately reflect the priorities of
many 3GPP operators.

Margaret

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 05:32:09 +0200 (CEST)

> lot of focus in 3GPP on conserving "air" bandwidth.

Yes, but as Steve and others pointed out ROHC takes care of that.

  Erik

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 00:16:55 -0400

>          - Sacrificing E2E connectivity

you might want a different choice depending on whether 

- the cell phone is acting as a host, running applications
  that are known to tolerate translation
  
- the cell phone is acting as a router or network connection 
  for one or more hosts which are connected to the cell phone
  and running arbitrary applications

I have no trouble with cell phones using translation for the 
applications tha tolerate it, but I'd hate to see cell phones 
provide a crippled network environment for other hosts that
use them to connect to the network.

Keith