Subject: (ngtrans) Interim Meeting Proposal

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 21:17:43 -0400

Hi All,

As promised, here is the information about our proposed interim
meeting before Atlanta:

Host:  	Wind River 
Dates:		September 18th & 19th, 2002 (Wednesday & Thursday)
Location:	Sunnyvale, California, USA

Please provide feedback on the location dates, including feedback on
which days would be most convenient for a meeting that week. 

Further information on the agenda will follow.

Thanks,
Margaret

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 22:19:42 +0300 (EEST)

> Further information on the agenda will follow.

Hopefully also some text to justify the necessity of an interim meeting?

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 01:02:57 -0400

Hi All,

Having heard no objections, we will be planning an interim meeting
for September 18th & 19th in Sunnyvale, CA, USA.  The size of this
meeting will be limited by the size of our Sunnyvale facility, and
I will circulate sign-up details as soon as they are finalized.  

A full agenda and further details will follow shortly.

Margaret

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:16:25 +0200

In your previous mail you wrote:

   Having heard no objections

=> I heard some... And if you need more I strongly object:
 - September is the busiest month of the year
 - I don't understand why we need an interim meeting when we've frozen
   new activities...

Regards

[email-masked]

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:39:06 -0400

Hi Francis,

Did I miss some earlier mail?  I didn't see any objection to the 
proposed dates, only a discussion of the purpose of the meeting.

I also received several private e-mails from people that indicated
that the dates are fine.  Also, at least two people asked me to 
confirm the dates this week (6 weeks in advance of the meeting) so
that they could get travel approval, even if the final agenda was
not ready.

>  - September is the busiest month of the year

I think that this is different for different people.  For example,
September is a relatively slow month for me -- my busiest months
this year are March, July and November :-).

>  - I don't understand why we need an interim meeting when we've frozen

There are several reasons why we'd like to have an interim meeting:

         (1) Further face-to-face review of the solutions/scenario
                 documents that are underway.

                 For September, we expect to have:
                         - 3GPP scenario document (ready for last call?)
                         - 3GPP solutions document (nearing completion)
                         - Unmanaged scenario document (second draft)
                         - Unmanaged solutions document (first draft)
                         - ISP scenarios document (first complete draft)
                         - Initial work on an Enterprises document (at
                                 least how the area could be organized?)

                 These documents are very important to:

                         - Folks in the real world who are currently
                                 trying to plan for transition.
                         - Implementors/vendors who are trying to figure 
                                 out what sort of transition mechanisms it
                                 make sense to offer in which products
                         - The ngtrans WG, as we try to figure out what
                                 our most effective role would be in
                                 guiding and assisting the operational
                                 transition of the Internet.

                 Because this work is so important to the IPv6 world and to 
                 the ngtrans group, we'd like to make sure that a fairly
                 wide range of folks are involved in this work every step
                 of the way.  Some people may find it easier to stay involved
                 via the mailing list, while others may prefer a face-to-face
                 meeting.  It would be the purpose of this meeting to augment
                 the review on the mailing list, not to replace it.
                 
         (2) As we discussed in Yokohama, we are working on a new charter
                 for the ngtrans WG.  We should have a new charter ready
                 by the interim meeting that we can discuss there.

         (3) It does not serve us well to pretend that the world works the
                 way that we wish it did...  

                 It is a clear fact that authors/editors are more likely to
                 produce a document by a meeting deadline, and that folks are
                 more likely to thoroughly review a document in preparation for
                 a meeting.  Holding an interim meeting in September will help
                 us to make two real cycles on the scenario/solutions documents
                 before Atlanta.

Although I understand that September is a busy month for you, it is the best
time to hold an interim meeting to allow for work between Yokohama and the
interim meeting, and between the interim meeting and Atlanta. 

Thoughts?

Margaret