Subject: (ngtrans) Re: RFC 1886 Interop Tests & Results

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 09:53:44 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 [email-masked] wrote:
> > I seem to recall there was some Best Current Practises about this 11
> > months ago.
> > 
> 
> 	ip6.arpa is fine for 2001:0:: but not for -anythhing-
> 	else.  You might want to re-read the BCP.  :)

You're probably referring to the IANA considerations:

--8<--
3. IANA Considerations

   This memo requests that the IANA delegate the IP6.ARPA domain
   following instructions to be provided by the IAB.  Names within this
   zone are to be further delegated to the regional IP registries in
   accordance with the delegation of IPv6 address space to those
   registries.  The names allocated should be hierarchic in accordance
   with the address space assignment.
--8<--

Nothing else seems to match.  The second sentence is probably relevant 
here.

How should an application writer know there are hidden messages in the BCP
("don't delegate to 6bone, make ip6.arpa useless")?

As 6bone have been delegated IPv6 address space, I think this could very 
well be interpreted to include them too.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 16:08:15 +0900

> well be interpreted to include them too.

this is in process

are people still discussing these ancient ex-issues.  too much free time on
their hands?  it's over.  get real.

randy