Subject: Re: (ngtrans) DNS text in draft-ietf-ngtrans-mech-v2-00.txt

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 10:49:51 +0200

Keith,

You may have missed this

> An implementation MUST allow the application to control whether or
>    not such filtering takes place.

The whole point is (as for the rest of address selection) to
allow a host stack to cause reasonable default behaviour by
dumb applications, but to allow sophisticated applications
to make their own choice.

In any case what about Erik's question? I have a feeling it is
better *not* to duplicate the address selection material here,
especially since it's controversial.

   Brian

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 15:04:13 -0400

> to make their own choice.

I think that's slightly wrong - in most cases the host is in no
position to know what reasonable default behavior is.

IMHO the appropriate behavior is

hosts SHOULD NOT filter addresses
hosts MUST provide an interface to disable filtering
	(it can be a no-op if there is no filtering in place)

> especially since it's controversial.

probably agree.  having the material duplicated will just cause confusion,
especially since the two versions seem likely to get out of sync as we
understand more about address selection.

Keith