Subject: (ngtrans) NGtrans closing procedures

From: Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 11:36:10 -0700

NGTRANS Folk,

This is a call for comments on the closing procedures for ngtrans. 
Please comment to the list by close of business 11 October 2002.

As you already know, ngtrans is being closed as an official working 
group of the IETF. Some of its work/IDs are being taken on by v6ops 
immediately, while the remaining work will be turned into personal IDs, 
giving time for v6ops (and other IETF wgs) to decide what IDs might yet 
be accepted as work items by them.

Meanwhile, the ngtrans mailing list (operated by Sun) and the ngtrans 
web site (operated by Bob Fink) will stay open for business, as the 
ngtrans mail list community thinks appropriate. Old and new work items 
that are personal IDs may be discussed and tracked; work on v6ops IDs, 
and other IETF wg IDs, should be handled on their respective wg mail list.

Regarding changing ngtrans IDs to personal IDs: The IETF Secretariat can 
simply change the group value field 'ngtrans' to "personal-name" (the 
likely one is listed below) with the same revision number. Only ID name 
changes other than the group value require the revision number to be 
reset to -00. SHIPWORM is suggested to be changed to TEREDO, and its 
revision number set back to -00, as the SHIPWORM name needs to disappear 
from view to avoid confusion.

Note to document authors:
The 'renaming' of the documents will be performed by the IETF secretariat
New revisions of those documents could be posted according
to the new naming convention after the renaming event have occured.

Please comment on these lists for accuracy and/or naming, especially the 
personal-name choices for the IDs below.

Comments on why ngtrans is being closed may be directed to the IESG AD 
(Randy Bush) for ngtrans, and its co-chairs, but are not the purpose of 
this call for comments on the closing procedures.

There will be one week to reply before action is taken on moving ngtrans 
IDs to personal IDs, so please reply by close of business Friday, 11 
October 2002.

Regards,

Alain/Tony/Margaret
ngtrans co-chairs

-----------------------------------------------------
NGTRANS IDs becoming v6ops IDs based on v6ops actions

The following ngtrans IDs are likely to become v6ops IDs based on the 
v6ops interim meeting in September, soon to be validated by a v6ops mail 
list consensus call.

Survey of IPv4 Addresses in Currently Deployed IETF Standards (IPV4SURVVEY)
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-ipv4survey-02.txt>

Transition Mechanisms for IPv6 Hosts and Routers (MECH)
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-mech-v2-00.txt>

Unmanaged Networks Transition Scope (UNMANSCOPE)
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-unmanscope-01.txt>

------------
NGTRANS RFCs

The following RFCs will be tracked by v6ops as they are listed in the 
v6ops charter, thus allowing v6ops to manage their progression, or 
deprecation, on the standards track.

RFC 2893 PS Transition Mechanisms for IPv6 Hosts and Routers (MECH)

RFC 2765 PS Stateless IP/ICMP Translation Algorithm (SIIT)

RFC 2766 PS Network Address Translation - Protocol Translation (NAT-PT)

RFC 3056 PS Connection of IPv6 Domains via IPv4 Clouds (6TO4)

RFC 3068 PS An Anycast Prefix for 6to4 Relay Routers (6TO4-ANYCAST)

BIA (Bump-In-the-API) is soon to be published as an Experimental RFC and 
v6ops intends to track this as well:

RFC XXXX EX Dual Stack Hosts using "Bump-in-the-API" (BIA)
(soon to be published)
is ngtrans ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-bia-05.txt>

Info RFCs are not being tracked specifically by v6ops as they stand 
alone as informational items. Possibly, some day, v6ops might want to 
make an Informational RFC status report of these so there is some record 
of how they relate, or not, to the IPv6 transition process.

---------------------------------------------------
NGTRANS IDs being renamed as personal contributions

Note that the IETF Secretariat can simply change the field 'ngtrans' to 
"personal-name" (the likely one is listed below) with the same revision 
number. SHIPWORM is suggested to be changed to TEREDO, and its revision 
number set back to -00, as the SHIPWORM name needs to disappear from 
view to avoid confusion.

An overview of the introduction of IPv6 in the Internet (TRANSITION)
is ngtrans ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-introduction-to-ipv6-transition-08.txt> 

becomes personal ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-durand-introduction-to-ipv6-transition-08.txt> 

Dual Stack Transition Mechanism (DSTM)
is ngtrans ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-dstm-08.txt>
becomes personal ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bound-dstm-08.txt>

Connecting IPv6 Islands across IPv4 Clouds with BGP (BGP-TUNNEL)
is ngtrans ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-bgp-tunnel-04.txt>
becomes personal ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-gastaud-bgp-tunnel-04.txt>

Support for Multicast over 6to4 Networks (6TO4-MULTICAST)
is ngtrans ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-6to4-multicast-01.txt> 

becomes personal ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-thaler-6to4-multicast-01.txt> 

Intra-Site Automatic Tunnel Addressing Protocol (ISATAP)
is ngtrans ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-isatap-04.txt>
becomes personal ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-templin-isatap-04.txt>

SMTP operational experience in mixed IPv4/IPv6 Environments 
(IPv6-SMTP-REQUIREMENT)
is ngtrans ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-ipv6-smtp-requirement-06.txt> 

becomes personal ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-itojun-ipv6-smtp-requirement-06.txt> 

An IPv6/IPv4 Multicast Translator based on IGMP/MLD Proxying (MTP)
is ngtrans ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-mtp-02.txt>
becomes personal ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsuchiya-mtp-02.txt>

Moving in a Dual Stack Internet (MOVING)
is ngtrans ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-moving-01.txt>
becomes personal ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsao-moving-01.txt>

NGtrans IPv6 DNS operational requirements and roadmap (DNS-OPS-REQ)
is ngtrans ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-dns-ops-req-00.txt>
becomes personal ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-durand-dns-ops-req-00.txt>

Teredo: Tunneling IPv6 over UDP through NATs (TEREDO)
is ngtrans ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-shipworm-08.txt>
becomes personal ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-huitema-teredo-00.txt>

Interaction of transition mechanisms (INTERACTION)
is ngtrans ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-interaction-01.txt>
becomes personal ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-baudot-interaction-01.txt>

MIME TYPE definition for tunnels (MIME-TYPE)
is ngtrans ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-tunnel-mime-type-00.txt> 

becomes personal ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-durand-tunnel-mime-type-00.txt> 

Dual Stack Transition Mechanism (DSTM) Overview (DSTM-OVERVIEW)
is ngtrans ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-dstm-overview-00.txt> 

becomes personal ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bound-dstm-overview-00.txt>

ISATAP Transition Scenario for Enterprise/Managed Networks 
(ISATAP-SCENARIO)
is ngtrans ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-isatap-scenario-00.txt> 

becomes personal ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-templin-isatap-scenario-00.txt>

---

From: Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 13:04:21 -0700

NGtrans folks,

Right after I sent the previous message on closing procedure, I realised
we made a typo in suggested personal draft names.
Here is the correct list:

- Alain.

becomes personal ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-durand-ngtrans-introduction-to-ipv6-transition-08.txt> 

Dual Stack Transition Mechanism (DSTM)
is ngtrans ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-dstm-08.txt>
becomes personal ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bound-ngtrans-dstm-08.txt>

Connecting IPv6 Islands across IPv4 Clouds with BGP (BGP-TUNNEL)
is ngtrans ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-bgp-tunnel-04.txt>
becomes personal ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gastaud-ngtrans-bgp-tunnel-04.txt> 

becomes personal ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-thaler-ngtrans-6to4-multicast-01.txt> 

Intra-Site Automatic Tunnel Addressing Protocol (ISATAP)
is ngtrans ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-isatap-04.txt>
becomes personal ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-templin-ngtrans-isatap-04.txt>

becomes personal ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-itojun-ngtrans-ipv6-smtp-requirement-06.txt> 

An IPv6/IPv4 Multicast Translator based on IGMP/MLD Proxying (MTP)
is ngtrans ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-mtp-02.txt>
becomes personal ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-tsuchiya-ngtrans-mtp-02.txt>

Moving in a Dual Stack Internet (MOVING)
is ngtrans ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-moving-01.txt>
becomes personal ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-tsao-ngtrans-moving-01.txt>

NGtrans IPv6 DNS operational requirements and roadmap (DNS-OPS-REQ)
is ngtrans ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-dns-ops-req-00.txt>
becomes personal ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-durand-ngtrans-dns-ops-req-00.txt> 

Teredo: Tunneling IPv6 over UDP through NATs (TEREDO)
is ngtrans ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-shipworm-08.txt>
becomes personal ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-huitema-ngtrans-teredo-00.txt>

Interaction of transition mechanisms (INTERACTION)
is ngtrans ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-interaction-01.txt>
becomes personal ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-baudot-ngtrans-interaction-01.txt> 

becomes personal ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-durand-ngtrans-tunnel-mime-type-00.txt> 

becomes personal ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bound-ngtrans-dstm-overview-00.txt> 

becomes personal ID 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-templin-ngtrans-isatap-scenario-00.txt>

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 08:48:09 +0200

Alain,

....
> <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-thaler-ngtrans-6to4-multicast-01.txt>

I don't understand this proposal. Since 6to4 is on the menu for v6ops, it 
makes no sense to cut this draft loose as an individual submission.
The 6to4 solution is incomplete without multicast.

The same argument applies to

draft-ietf-ngtrans-6to4-dns-01.txt (expired, but something's needed)
draft-savola-ngtrans-6to4-security-01.txt (no consensus yet, but needed)

One option of course would be to spin up a 6to4 WG narrowly focussed
on these three drafts plus any updates to RFC 3056 - but it seems like
a lot of overhead rather than just taking these items in v6ops.

   Brian

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 09:24:11 -0400

Hi Brian,

In order to accept work into v6ops, we need a current I-D
(at least one of these is expired), agreement that the work
is within our charter, agreement from our ADs regarding
milestone/goal additions, and WG consensus to accept a
particular document.

So, if you think that v6ops should be doing work in this area,
feel free to start that discussion on the v6ops list.  It
is certainly within our charter to discuss needed changes or
enhancements to 6to4.  If the WG is interested in doing work
based on these documents, we should figure out a reasonable
schedule for that work and propose milestones to Randy &
Bert.

In the meantime, we need to complete the administrivia of
closing down ngtrans.  But, that won't stop us from moving
these documents into v6ops if/when that is appropriate.

Margaret

---

From: Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 09:51:40 -0700

>The 6to4 solution is incomplete without multicast.
Although I agree with you on that particular point, the v6ops has not (yet)
formally accepted this document as wg item, thus, as part of the process
of shutting down NGtrans, it has to be recycled as personal ID until
v6ops decides to take it.

>draft-ietf-ngtrans-6to4-dns-01.txt (expired, but something's needed)
IMHO, this one should be handed over to DNSop.

>draft-savola-ngtrans-6to4-security-01.txt (no consensus yet, but needed)
Another likely candidate for v6ops if this group decides to take on
6to4 evolution.

    - Alain.

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 13:34:05 -0400

> IMHO, this one should be handed over to DNSop.

I agree.  the DNS folks are the ones who really need to nail down
the details.  they're also the folks from who buyin is most needed.

Keith

p.s. I'll send out a revision ASAP.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 11:26:54 +0200

Alain,

That makes sense. 

   Brian

-- 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian E Carpenter 
Distinguished Engineer, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM 
On assignment at the IBM Zurich Laboratory, Switzerland

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 11:36:32 +0200

Keith, will you take steps to get it adopted by DNSOPS as a WG item?

  Brian