Subject: (ngtrans) New draft - Router Affiliation Protocol for IPv6-over-(foo)-over-IPv4

From: "Fred L. Templin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 03:34:08 -0700

Hello,

I have sent the above-named personal draft to the IETF repository.
It is available for immediate perusal at:

   http://www.geocities.com/osprey67/router_affiliation-00.txt

The document has both operational and technical implications,
thus I am posting to both lists. Abstract follows; please send
comments.

Fred
[email-masked]

Abstract

    This document proposes a router affiliation protocol for IPv6-
    over-(foo)-over-IPv4 links, where (foo) is either an encapsulating
    layer (e.g., UDP) or a NULL layer. It is essentially a lightweight,
    link-layer mechanism for nodes and routers to establish security
    associations, discover and dynamically re-adjust maximum transmission
    units, and detect router failures. The protocol makes no attempt to
    ensure reliable message delivery; this function is performed by
    higher-layer protocols, e.g. TCP.