Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Re: IPv6 only devices in home network

From: "Michael Cole" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 1:36:28 -0500

Some NAT boxes work very well and some are very crappy. Sybergen's Sygate 
NAT boxes (which include an implementation for business and enterprise 
situations) work very well and do not break applications. Their enterprise 
edition includes a gateway for managing different network segments such as 
wireless or building-to-building.

Wingate on the other hand refuses to work with AOL (my backup service in 
case Earthlink has a screwball problem or a server outage) and also changed my 
network addresses to its favorites which broke all of my other 
applications.

Any solution that includes how to make IPv6 work through NAT boxes and 
gateway boxes should concentrate on working with the better implementations. The 
crappy implementations that do break applications will fall by the wayside 
anyways unless the creators get the bugs out.

----- Original Message ----- 

From: Brian E 
Carpenter  

To: Zhang haofeng 
Cc: [email-masked] 

Sent: 10/21/2002 10:29:35 AM 

Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Re: IPv6 only 
devices in home network

          1. what's the exact 
time that IPv4 addresses will be run out? Nobody cares about IPv6 until the IPv4 
addresses are run out.

They ran out some time ago, since you can't get enough today.

Actually, there were never enough IPv4 addresses. The world 
population

was more than 4 billion even when the IPv4 standard was published. 

          2. Can ISPs benefit 
from IPv6? It needs much money to upgrade the IPv4 network to IPv6 
network!

It costs much money to solve the problems caused by NAT. Every time I 
travel, without

exception, I hit a connectivity problem caused by NAT. This costs a lot to 
both

ISPs, users, and employers. Moving to IPv6 will save money.

          3. Application for 
IPv6? Is IPv6 similar with 3G, which both lack of Killer applications?

We don't need a killer application. We just need enough addresses for

normal applications.  For one list of IPv6-enabled 
applications,

see http://6net.iif.hu/ipv6_apps/ 

    Brian

 

--- Michael Cole

--- [email-masked] 

--- EarthLink: It's your Internet.

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 07:12:48 -0500

> Some NAT boxes work very well and some are very crappy. Sybergen's Sygate NAT
> boxes (which include an implementation for business and enterprise situations)
> work very well and do not break applications

that's a ridiculous claim.  any NAT box will break applications.