Subject: RES: (ngtrans) IPv6 tranisition issues

From: "Marcelo Barbosa Lima" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 08:29:47 -0200

Hi Nick,

>
>
>Yes, in a typing fury I forgot/missed the IPv6 solution for mobility.
>IPv6 is streamlined and designed for mobility in mind. Again there are
>the patches in IPv4, although riddled with triangular routing issues.
>But then again is there anyone really into mobile IP? And I use NTT
>DoCoMo and likes in Japan as examples for this and not a 'hotspot' cafe
>answer on 802.11.
>

  In IPv4, attacks against ARP protocol (mobile IPv4 trusts in ARP protocol) are easy to implment. DHCP can also be bypassed easily. So, neighbour protocol with AH is more secure solution. Regards,

		Marcelo.

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 14:10:02 +0200 (EET)

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Marcelo Barbosa Lima wrote:
>   In IPv4, attacks against ARP protocol (mobile IPv4 trusts in ARP
> protocol) are easy to implment. DHCP can also be bypassed easily. So,
> neighbour protocol with AH is more secure solution. Regards,

Less market speak, more technology, please.

Securing the neighbor protocol with AH is _hard_.

Please check out SEND working group.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords