Subject: [NNTP] Case sensitivity

From: clive at demon.net (Clive D.W. Feather)
Date: Mon Aug 30 13:10:53 2004

Forwarded because I'm not sure if it got through to the list originally.

>>   I'm bothered about this restriction to uppercase. The ABNF syntax
>>says that
>> "USER" and "SASL" are case-insensitive, and our only other example ("MSGID"
>> argument to "OVER") is also case-insensitive. The rest of NNTP (e.g. command
>> names) is also case-insensitive.
>>  Consistency with other extensions says that you should add LOWER to
>>this
>> list, or even move to A-CHAR, and be case-insensitive.
>This is mandated by RFC 2222(bis):

Hmm. So:

    aUtHiNfO sAsL PLAIN weeble

is fine but

    authinfo sasl plain weeble

isn't.

You could allow it to be case insensitive (thus requiring the server to
uppercase the method internally). But it's not a major point; I'll leave
it up to you to decide where to go with this.

-- 
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <[email-masked]>   | Tel:    +44 20 8495 6138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <[email-masked]>  | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Mobile: +44 7973 377646
Thus plc            |                            |

---

From: rra at stanford.edu (Russ Allbery)
Date: Mon Aug 30 15:06:49 2004

> it up to you to decide where to go with this.

Yeah, I think we should just stick with the SASL standard on this, no
matter how weird it might be compared to the rest of the protocol.  (It's
kind of weird compared to the rest of the IMAP protocol too.)

-- 
Russ Allbery ([email-masked])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>