Subject: [NNTP] LISTGROUP

From: ken at oceana.com (Ken Murchison)
Date: Sat Sep 4 05:04:27 2004

I'm working on parts of my Cyrus NNTP code, and I had occasion to 
re-read the LISTGROUP text in draft -23.  Question: If LISTGROUP is 
called without the group argument, does the current article pointer of 
the already selected group get changed to the first article, or does it 
stay where it is?  Perhaps the answer can be inferred from the text, but 
its not blatantly clear to me.

-- 
Kenneth Murchison     Oceana Matrix Ltd.
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127
--PGP Public Key--    http://www.oceana.com/~ken/ksm.pgp

---

From: clive at demon.net (Clive D.W. Feather)
Date: Mon Sep 6 07:19:27 2004

Ken Murchison said:
> stay where it is?

It gets changed.

>From the text:

    The optional argument is the name of the newsgroup to be selected
    (e.g.  "news.software.misc").  A list of valid newsgroups may be
    obtained from the LIST ACTIVE command.  If no group is specified, the
    current selected newsgroup is used.

it is clear to me that:

    LISTGROUP news.software.misc
    LISTGROUP

and:

    LISTGROUP news.software.misc
    LISTGROUP news.software.misc

are equivalent in effect. Then:

   When a valid group is selected by means of this command, the current
   selected newsgroup MUST be set to that group and the current article
   number MUST be set to the first article in the group.

says it MUST be set to the first article in the group. Neither this
wording, nor the equivalent in GROUP, has an exception for the case that
the group being selected is the group already selected.

What in the wording made you think otherwise?

-- 
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <[email-masked]>   | Tel:    +44 20 8495 6138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <[email-masked]>  | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Mobile: +44 7973 377646
Thus plc            |                            |

---

From: ken at oceana.com (Ken Murchison)
Date: Tue Sep 7 06:49:08 2004

> What in the wording made you think otherwise?

Never mind.  I was reading text from -21.  I noticed that in -23 the 
first paragrapg of 8.3.1.2 specifically states that LISTGROUP also 
selects the group.  This new sentence seems to eliminate the wiggle room 
for a different interpretation that I had.