Subject: Re: [NNTP] LIST EXTENSIONS (again)

From: "Clive D.W. Feather" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:08:50 +0000

Kai Henningsen said:
> Something like the following:
> 
> * Document that 433 is the standard port for transfer
> * Document that for historical reasons, very many servers use 119 just as
>   for client access
> * Document that some few servers use both client and transfer access on
>   port 119, and that this case is SHOULD NOT, and that there's an old
>   mechanism of "MODE READER" for coping with this, and that, *if* that is
>   needed, that command needs to be the very first thing sent, and if the
>   server doesn't like that command in that position, not send it at all.
> * And document that standard servers might, to be compatible with
>   pre-standard clients, want to support MODE READER on port 119 as a no-op
>   compatibility command - they ought to accept it whenever any client
>   command is allowed, for maximum compatibility.
[...]
> # MODE_READER means if you want reader access, your very next move MUST be
>   to issue MODE READER and reset everything you know. You really cannot
>   have TLS running for that.

Have you looked at 25.pre-3 yet? It says something similar, though not
identical, to that.

-- 
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <[email-masked]>   | Tel:    +44 20 8495 6138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <[email-masked]>  | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Mobile: +44 7973 377646
Thus plc            |                            |