Subject: [NNTP] Extension docs snapshots

From: ken at oceana.com (Ken Murchison)
Date: Tue Nov 16 09:14:19 2004

Per Clive's request, here are the current extensions docs with 
(hopefully) all issues discussed on the list resolved.  Once the LIST 
EXTENSIONS/CAPABILITY issue is settled, I will update the docs 
appropriately.

http://www.oceana.com/ftp/drafts/draft-ietf-nntpext-authinfo-06pre1.txt
http://www.oceana.com/ftp/drafts/draft-ietf-nntpext-streaming-03pre1.txt
http://www.oceana.com/ftp/drafts/draft-ietf-nntpext-tls-nntp-04pre1.txt

-- 
Kenneth Murchison     Oceana Matrix Ltd.
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127
--PGP Public Key--    http://www.oceana.com/~ken/ksm.pgp

---

From: clive at demon.net (Clive D.W. Feather)
Date: Wed Nov 17 02:52:17 2004

> http://www.oceana.com/ftp/drafts/draft-ietf-nntpext-tls-nntp-04pre1.txt

Thanks for these.

authinfo, section 1, para 1, s/be used/been used/

authinfo, section 3.1, last para,
  s/and CRLF as the/and CRLF, both exclusive, as the/

streaming, section 2.3.1, why is MODE STREAM "MUST NOT be pipelined"? I
understand the reasoning with MODE READER, but I don't understand it here
(of course, the client needs to be careful what it does immediately
afterwards, but if it pipelined a sequence of CHECKs would it hurt?).

streaming, section 2.3.2, para 1: make it clear that a 501 is allowed if an
argument is given, and that the server state must not be affected by this
command. So something like:
    ... to the MODE STREAM command (or 501 if an argument is given).
    The MODE STREAM command MUST NOT have any other effect.

Generic issues:
* With the agreed change on command name and extension label syntax, the
extension labels are now case-insensitive. So the hex sequences in the
formal grammar can be replaced by quoted strings.

* I've seen *NO* feedback on 25-pre3, which rewrites the MODE READER issue
in terms of "transit" and "reader" connections. If the consensus is to
accept this change, then all these extension documents will need
corresponding changes:
  - each command needs labelling as "transit", "reader", or "general";
  - the bits about "can be used before and after MODE READER" can either
    be dropped or else become "can be used on transit-only servers" or
    "can be used on reader-only servers".

I've just added another bullet point to the "what is needed in an extension
description":
  - how the use of MODE READER on a mode-switching server interacts
    with the extension.
This is relevant for AUTHINFO and STARTTLS; both say that the commands can
be used before and after MODE READER, but neither explains what happens if
MODE READER is issued on a secured connection.

* There will, of course, be issues to resolve when CAPABILITY is added
(which will be the next draft I issue).

-- 
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <[email-masked]>   | Tel:    +44 20 8495 6138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <[email-masked]>  | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Mobile: +44 7973 377646
Thus plc            |                            |