Subject: [NNTP] Port numbers

From: clive at demon.net (Clive D.W. Feather)
Date: Fri Nov 12 07:19:12 2004

I've got two possible wordings for port numbers.

(1) The official TCP port for the NNTP service is 433 for transit-only
    servers and 119 for all other servers.

(2) The official TCP port for the NNTP service is 119. However, if a host
    wishes to offer separate transit-only and reader-only servers, port
    433 SHOULD be used for the former and 119 for the latter.

[The terms "reader-only", "transit-only", and "general-use" are defined
in text that will surround this.]

Which better describes our intent?

-- 
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <[email-masked]>   | Tel:    +44 20 8495 6138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <[email-masked]>  | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Mobile: +44 7973 377646
Thus plc            |                            |

---

From: ken at oceana.com (Ken Murchison)
Date: Fri Nov 12 07:49:13 2004

> Which better describes our intent?

Either works for me; leaning towards (2).

-- 
Kenneth Murchison     Oceana Matrix Ltd.
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127
--PGP Public Key--    http://www.oceana.com/~ken/ksm.pgp

---

From: rra at stanford.edu (Russ Allbery)
Date: Fri Nov 12 10:12:23 2004

> Which better describes our intent?

I think 2 sounds about right.  For sites that have split transit and
reader functionality onto separate boxes, I don't see any reason to push
them to switch to 433 on their transit systems.

-- 
Russ Allbery ([email-masked])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>