Subject: [NNTP] Format of message-ids

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 10:15:51 GMT

According to 3.5:

 o  A message-id MUST NOT contain octets other than printable US-ASCII
      characters.

Whereas according to RFC 2822, it can contain NO-WS-CTLs.

Which is stupid (fails the "can you read it out over the telephone" test),
but there it is.

So there is a move afoot in USEFOR to make yet one more departure from the
<msg-id> format of RFC 2822 by forbidding such NO-WS-CTLs.

And the grounds for doing this will be "because such <msg-id>s would be
incompatible with the (upcoming) NNTP standard".

So I am just checking here that the above quoted restriction to printable
ASCII is in the current NNTP draft, and is intended to remain so. Note
that I am _not_ asking for any change - I am quite happy with the
current situation and with bringing USEFOR into line with it.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

---

From: Russ Allbery <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:55:04 -0800

>  o  A message-id MUST NOT contain octets other than printable US-ASCII

[...]

> So I am just checking here that the above quoted restriction to
> printable ASCII is in the current NNTP draft, and is intended to remain
> so. Note that I am _not_ asking for any change - I am quite happy with
> the current situation and with bringing USEFOR into line with it.

Yup, that's going to stay.  Regardless of the merits of the restriction,
debate has closed on that part of our draft.

-- 
Russ Allbery ([email-masked])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>