Subject: [NNTP] Re: [ietf-nntp] DATE: reader or general command

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 12:11:13 GMT

In <[email-masked]> Ken Murchison <[email-masked]> writes:

>The current pre-drafts have the DATE command listed as a reader command, 
>presumably because its typically used with NEWNEWS.  However, since the 
>command is fairly benign and may have alternative uses in the future, 
>wouldn't it make more sense to label it as a general command?

OTOH, an implementation that chose not to provide NEWNEWS would have no
reason to provide DATE, so I still think pairing them together (e.g. by
listing both as reader commands) makes reasonable sense.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

---

From: Russ Allbery <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:32:08 -0800

Charles Lindsey <[email-masked]> writes:
> Ken Murchison <[email-masked]> writes:

>> The current pre-drafts have the DATE command listed as a reader
>> command, presumably because its typically used with NEWNEWS.  However,
>> since the command is fairly benign and may have alternative uses in the
>> future, wouldn't it make more sense to label it as a general command?

> listing both as reader commands) makes reasonable sense.

I think that we can just leave well enough alone.  I'd like to instead
look at adopting something like Andrew's proposal for describing the
stripped-down transit command set, which would make this point moot.

-- 
Russ Allbery ([email-masked])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>