Subject: [NNTP] Extension snapshots 2

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 14:43:53 -0500

I have put together a second snapshot of the extension drafts which 
hopefully address most of the issues raised on the list.  Please read 
sections 0 (zero) of each draft for a list changes since the previous 
"official" drafts (not the pre1 drafts) and remaining outstanding 
issues.  Note that the capabilities language and examples will probably 
get tweaked after the next base draft arrives.

http://www.oceana.com/ftp/drafts/draft-ietf-nntpext-authinfo-06pre2.txt
http://www.oceana.com/ftp/drafts/draft-ietf-nntpext-streaming-03pre2.txt
http://www.oceana.com/ftp/drafts/draft-ietf-nntpext-tls-nntp-04pre2.txt

-- 
Kenneth Murchison     Oceana Matrix Ltd.
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127
--PGP Public Key--    http://www.oceana.com/~ken/ksm.pgp

---

From: Russ Allbery <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 17:05:56 -0800

> http://www.oceana.com/ftp/drafts/draft-ietf-nntpext-authinfo-06pre2.txt

I believe we should not allow AUTHINFO both before and after MODE READER.
In other words, if you're going to send MODE READER, do it first before
you do anything else.  You can either not send it at all or send it as the
first thing you do, but you can't authenticate, use some transit commands,
and then send MODE READER to switch over to the reader server.

It's not clear to me what the utility of noting whether an extension is a
transit, reader, or general command, given that they have their own
capabilities.  Could someone remind me why that's needed?

> http://www.oceana.com/ftp/drafts/draft-ietf-nntpext-streaming-03pre2.txt

I think that covers everything that needs to be said about MODE READER in
this one.

> http://www.oceana.com/ftp/drafts/draft-ietf-nntpext-tls-nntp-04pre2.txt

Same point here about MODE READER ordering as with authinfo.

-- 
Russ Allbery ([email-masked])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

---

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 21:12:50 -0500

> and then send MODE READER to switch over to the reader server.

OK.  So we're going based on what a mode-switching server is capable of 
handling, correct?  I couldn't remember where we stood on this after our 
long thread with Mark Crispin, et al.

> capabilities.  Could someone remind me why that's needed?

Umm, I don't recall.  It might have something to do with MODE READER. 
Clive?