Subject: [NNTP] 500 v 501

From: "Clive D.W. Feather" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 16:12:15 +0000

Since we're revisiting this area ...

If a command like LIST ACTIVE is not implemented, the response code is:
* 500 if LIST itself is not implemented;
* 501 if other LIST commands *are* implemented.
The logic for this was that the command is LIST and it has a number of
variants; picking the wrong variant is a syntax error.

Do we want to retain this, or do we want to say that some commands have two
parts to the name and so 500 is always the right response?

-- 
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <[email-masked]>   | Tel:    +44 20 8495 6138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <[email-masked]>  | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Mobile: +44 7973 377646
Thus plc            |                            |

---

From: Russ Allbery <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 12:14:25 -0800

> Do we want to retain this, or do we want to say that some commands have
> two parts to the name and so 500 is always the right response?

Unless there's a compelling reason to change it, I'd rather leave it alone
to avoid changing too many things at this point.

-- 
Russ Allbery ([email-masked])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

---

From: "Clive D.W. Feather" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 22:22:07 +0000

> to avoid changing too many things at this point.

I wouldn't call it "compelling"; I found myself writing convoluted wording
that basically says "'command not implemented' is 500 unless it's a
two-word command, when it's 501". I can cope.

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 14:41:36 GMT

>parts to the name and so 500 is always the right response?

I like it as it is (i.e. 500 + 501).

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5