Subject: Re: [NNTP] Format of message-ids

From: "Clive D.W. Feather" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 10:17:03 +0000

Charles Lindsey said:
> And the grounds for doing this will be "because such <msg-id>s would be
> incompatible with the (upcoming) NNTP standard".
> 
> So I am just checking here that the above quoted restriction to printable
> ASCII is in the current NNTP draft, and is intended to remain so. Note
> that I am _not_ asking for any change - I am quite happy with the
> current situation and with bringing USEFOR into line with it.

The current NNTP syntax - which is definitive - says:

  message-id = "<" 1*248A-NOTGT ">"
  A-NOTGT    = %x21-3D / %x3F-7E  ; exclude ">"

I see no reason to change it.

-- 
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <[email-masked]>   | Tel:    +44 20 8495 6138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <[email-masked]>  | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Mobile: +44 7973 377646
Thus plc            |                            |