Subject: Re: [NNTP] Extension snapshots 2

From: "Clive D.W. Feather" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 14:58:08 +0000

Sorry: tuit supply shortage at work.

Russ Allbery said:
[quite a lot of sensible things]

>> what are those implications?
> Haven't we already covered this at great length in this discussion?

Yes, but how to put it in the document?

> Would it help if we just said that MODE READER MAY (but is not required
> to) reset the connection to the state that it was in immediately after the
> initial connection?

I can live with that. How does this look:

    If the server is mode-switching, it switches from its transit mode to
    its reader mode, indicating the fact by changing the capability list
    accordingly, and then MUST return a 200 or 201 response with the same
    meaning as for the initial greeting (as described in [REF]); note that
    the response need not be the same as the one presented during the
!   initial greeting. The client MUST NOT issue MODE READER more than once
!   in a session or after any security or privacy commands are issued.
!   When the MODE READER command is issued, the server MAY reset its state
!   to that immediately after the initial connection before switching mode.

[This paragraph only applies to mode-switching servers. For all other
servers MODE READER is a no-op or closes the connection, as appropriate.]

>> On the server side, I don't believe it is right to advertise a
>> capability when it is unsafe for the client to make use of it. If the
>> server state has changed, then either:
>> * MODE READER MUST NOT be advertised, or
>> * we must document how MODE READER affects the state.
> 
> So the choice is between fiddling with capabilities some more behind the
> back of the client or documenting that MODE READER may reset the state of
> the server.  The latter is looking more attractive to me; why not go with
> documenting the existing practice?

Okay.

> I guess I don't really care that much; all the solutions are ugly to me in
> one way or another, but that's because MODE READER is ugly so that
> shouldn't really be a surprise.

Indeed.

-- 
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <[email-masked]>   | Tel:    +44 20 8495 6138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <[email-masked]>  | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Mobile: +44 7973 377646
Thus plc            |                            |

---

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:58:31 -0500

> !   to that immediately after the initial connection before switching mode.

Simple and to the point.  I like it.

-- 
Kenneth Murchison     Oceana Matrix Ltd.
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127
--PGP Public Key--    http://www.oceana.com/~ken/ksm.pgp

---

From: Russ Allbery <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 09:02:12 -0800

> Sorry: tuit supply shortage at work.

No problem; I'm having the same difficulty.  Sorry that I was so snippy in
one of the messages that I sent out last week.  :/  Lots of things going
on.

> servers MODE READER is a no-op or closes the connection, as appropriate.]

This looks great to me.

-- 
Russ Allbery ([email-masked])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

---

From: "Clive D.W. Feather" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 08:53:57 +0000

Russ Allbery said:
> one of the messages that I sent out last week.  :/

You were? It must have been mild compared to what I get in other contexts,
because I didn't even notice.

>> I can live with that. How does this look:
[...]
> This looks great to me.

Phew.