Subject: [NNTP] Re: News and nntp URI schemes

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 18:22:56 +0100

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:55:52 -0000, Charles Lindsey <[email-masked]>  
wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:59:48 -0000, Charles Lindsey  
> <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> [2nd alternative]
>>
>>         newsURI     = "news:" ( article / group )
>>         article     = [ news-server "/" ] message-id
>>         group       = [ news-server "/" ] wildmat
>>

> There has been much discussion on the NNTP WG list about this in recent  
> days, mainly between myself and Russ Allbery. He has suggested various  
> small textual changes, which I have adopted, but more importantly he  
> likes going for the 2nd alternative (i.e. wildmats). It seems that Lynx,  
> at least, already supports something pretty close to that, and it should  
> also make Al Gilman happy. It would be useful, however, to hear of other  
> systems that will currently handle all, or most, of the examples listed  
> for the 2nd alternative.
>
> In the meantime, I intend to rewrite the text incorporating those  
> wildmats, and I shall post it here for your consideration.
>
So I have now done this, and the text is attached.

This is being sent to both the [email-masked] and the  
[email-masked] lists.
Ideally, it should be discussed on both lists (though it is [email-masked]  
that is ultimately responsible). However, keeping discussion alive on two  
lists is known to be a hazardous enterprise, so I shall report interesting  
comments on each list to the other.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

---

From: Russ Allbery <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:23:50 -0700

> So I have now done this, and the text is attached.

This looks good to me from an NNTP perspective.

-- 
Russ Allbery ([email-masked])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>