Subject: Re: [NNTP] Misc changes

From: "Clive D.W. Feather" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 09:00:44 +0100

Charles Lindsey said:
> Hmmm! If you are a pure transit server, then the only use for NEWNEWS
> would appear to be for discovering what articles the server has already
> got, to avoid sending them with TAKETHIS. Does anybody actually use it
> that way? ISTM that is what IHAVE was meant for.

IHAVE requires round-trips and can't be pipelined. NEWNEWS can be used as a
first-pass filter, after which TAKETHIS does the job.

-- 
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <[email-masked]>   | Tel:    +44 20 8495 6138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <[email-masked]>  | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Mobile: +44 7973 377646
Thus plc            |                            |

---

From: "Clive D.W. Feather" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 09:02:59 +0100

Russ Allbery said:
> I would prefer not to fiddle with NEWGROUPS at this point (it doesn't have
> its own capability).  We have to stop at some point.
> 
> Okay, I wanted to see if anyone felt that way about NEWNEWS.  I'm happy to
> have it be its own capability.

Making NEWNEWS a separate capability is fine. But is NEWGROUPS useful
without NEWNEWS (and vice versa)? It seems to me that they belong in a
single bundle.

---

From: Urs Janßen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 15:34:09 +0200

> without NEWNEWS (and vice versa)? It seems to me that they belong in a

some servers only disallow NEWNEWS but do allow NEWGROUPS and some
clients (e.g. tin) only try NEWGROUPS but never try NEWNEWS.

I would put NEWNEWS and NEWGROUPS into the READER capability, but as
others found NEWNEWS usefull for use with feeds as well they should
be listes in a new section, e.g.:

   WHATEVER
      This capability indicates that the server implements the
      NEWNEWS and/or NEWGROUPS commands.
      If and only if the NEWNEWS command is implemented, there MUST
      be a single argument NEWNEWS. If and only if the NEWGROUPS
      command is implemented, there MUST be a single argument
      NEWGROUPS. (These arguments may appear in either order.)

      [C] CAPABILITIES
      [S] 101 Capability list:
      [S] VERSION 2
      [S] READER LISTGROUP
      [S] LIST ACTIVE NEWSGROUPS
      [S] WHATEVER NEWGROUPS
      [S] .
      [C] NEWNEWS news.answers 20050502 000000
      [S] 500 unknown command

urs
-- 
"Only whimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff
 on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;)" - Linus

---

From: Russ Allbery <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 09:05:46 -0700

> without NEWNEWS (and vice versa)? It seems to me that they belong in a

I don't see much relationship between them at all, so I'm not quite sure
what to say.  I've never used a news reader that uses NEWNEWS, and pretty
much every news reader I've used uses NEWGROUPS.

NEWNEWS is not particularly useful without at least ARTICLE, but the
feeling on the list is to not worry about that and just make it a separate
capability, at least as I judge consensus.

-- 
Russ Allbery ([email-masked])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

---

From: "Clive D.W. Feather" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 09:15:47 +0100

> capability, at least as I judge consensus.

Okay. NEWNEWS separate, NEWGROUPS as part of READER.