Subject: [NNTP] Backward compatibility section?

From: [email-masked] (Peter Robinson)
Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 13:11:37 +0100

Clive D.W. Feather <[email-masked]> wrote:

>  6.1.2  LISTGROUP

[...]

> +   Note that the range argument (but not, unlike GROUP, the ability to
> +   omit the group name) is a new feature in this specification and
> +   servers that do not support CAPABILITIES (and therefore do not
> +   conform to this specification) are unlikely to support it.

This is really helpful.

I think we should consider adding a separate section listing all places
like this where a client might try to use a new feature of an old
command on an old server.  Currently it's not obvious which features are
new.

That section would point out that lack of support for CAPABILITIES is a
good indicator of an old server.

Features like this (there may well be more):
 - LISTGROUP with range
 - LISTGROUP's new response
 - GROUP without group
 - ! and , in wildmats

Opinions?

Peter

---

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 09:09:06 -0400

>  - LISTGROUP's new response

Yes, I think a "Changes from RFC 977 & RFC 2980" section would be 
helpful for people already familiar with both who just want to get up to 
spec quickly.

-- 
Kenneth Murchison     Oceana Matrix Ltd.
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127
--PGP Public Key--    http://www.oceana.com/~ken/ksm.pgp