Subject: [NNTP] STARTTLS -- port 563 language

From: "Jeffrey M. Vinocur" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 19:39:23 -0400

I just noticed that I had an outstanding change lying around on disk.  
I don't remember if I reworded this in response to a specific issue, or 
if it just struck me as a confusingly long and winding sentence.

Does anyone remember and/or think the revised text is an improvement?

-Although current use of TLS most often involves the dedication of port
-563 for NNTP over TLS, the continued use of TLS on a separate port is
-discouraged for the reasons documented in section 7 of "Using TLS with
-IMAP, POP3 and ACAP" [TLS-IMAPPOP].
+
+In some existing implementations, TCP port 563 has been dedicated to
+NNTP over TLS.  These implementations begin the TLS negotiation
+immediately upon connection, and then continue with the initial steps 
of
+an NNTP session.  This use of TLS on a separate port is discouraged for
+the reasons documented in section 7 of "Using TLS with IMAP, POP3 and
+ACAP" [TLS-IMAPPOP].  The STARTTLS command is the preferred way of 
using
+TLS with NNTP.

-- 
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
[email-masked]

---

From: Russ Allbery <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 17:27:04 -0700

Jeffrey M Vinocur <[email-masked]> writes:

> I just noticed that I had an outstanding change lying around on disk.  I
> don't remember if I reworded this in response to a specific issue, or if
> it just struck me as a confusingly long and winding sentence.

> Does anyone remember and/or think the revised text is an improvement?

I think it's an improvement; I think it's worth saying explicitly that the
TLS negotiation starts immediately in that mode.

> +immediately upon connection, and then continue with the initial steps of
> +ACAP" [TLS-IMAPPOP].  The STARTTLS command is the preferred way of using
> +TLS with NNTP.

-- 
Russ Allbery ([email-masked])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

---

From: "Clive D.W. Feather" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 06:35:36 +0100

> Does anyone remember and/or think the revised text is an improvement?

It looks an improvement to me.

-- 
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <[email-masked]>   | Tel:    +44 20 8495 6138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <[email-masked]>  | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Mobile: +44 7973 377646
Thus plc            |                            |

---

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 11:50:45 -0400

> Does anyone remember and/or think the revised text is an improvement?

Replaced.

-- 
Kenneth Murchison     Oceana Matrix Ltd.
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127
--PGP Public Key--    http://www.oceana.com/~ken/ksm.pgp