Subject: [NNTP] Protocol Action: 'NNTP Extension for Streaming Feeds' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 18:27:38 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'NNTP Extension for Streaming Feeds '
   <draft-ietf-nntpext-streaming-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the NNTP Extensions Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Scott Hollenbeck and Ted Hardie.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nntpext-streaming-06.txt

Technical Summary
 
This memo defines an extension to the Network News Transport Protocol
to provide asynchronous (otherwise known as "streaming") transfer of
articles.  This allows servers to transfer articles to other servers
with much greater efficiency.

RFC 2980 summarizes some ad-hoc transport extensions currently used in
the NNTP protocol.  This document updates and formalizes the CHECK and
TAKETHIS commands and deprecates the MODE STREAM command.

Working Group Summary

The NNTPEXT WG achieved consensus on this document.

Protocol Quality

Scott Hollenbeck reviewed this specification for the IESG.

This protocol was previously described in RFC 2980 in a less formal
form.  Using the deprecated MODE STREAM negotiation command rather than
the new CAPABILITIES command, it is widely implemented in existing NNTP
software, including specifically INN, Diablo, and Cyclone, and those
implementations are known to interoperate.

---

From: "Ruud H.G. van Tol" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 02:14:47 +0200

2.3 "clients are urged to transition to", is 'transition' a proper verb
there?

-- 
Grtz, Ruud

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:34:34 GMT

>2.3 "clients are urged to transition to", is 'transition' a proper verb

It's a Transatlantic Extension :-)

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5