Subject: [NNTP] Decreasing low water mark

From: "Clive D.W. Feather" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 09:32:25 +0100

In draft 20, the text concerning GROUP and low water marks read, in part:

    Except when the group is empty and all three numbers are zero,
    whenever a subsequent GROUP command for the same newsgroup is
    issued, either by the same client or a different client, the
    reported low water mark in the response MUST be no less than that
    in any previous response for that newsgroup sent to any client.
    The client may make use of the low water mark to remove all
    remembered information about articles with lower numbers, as
    these will never recur.

In December 2003 we had a brief discussion about clusters, and I intended
to change the wording to:

    [...], the
    reported low water mark in the response MUST be no less than that
    in any previous response for that newsgroup in this session, and
    SHOULD be no less than that in any previous response for that
    newsgroup ever sent to any client.  Any failure to meet the latter
    condition should be transient only.
   
However - and nobody seems to have noticed it in 2.5 years - the text in
drafts 21 to 27 read:

    [...], the
    reported low water mark in the response MUST be no less than that
    in any previous response for that newsgroup in ** ANY ** session, and
    SHOULD be no less than that in any previous response for that
    newsgroup ever sent to any client.

(my emphasis). Now that I read the text from cold, it clearly doesn't make
sense as written.

I am therefore using my editorial licence to change "any" to "this". If
you object, scream now or forever hold your peace.

-- 
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <[email-masked]>   | Tel:    +44 20 8495 6138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <[email-masked]>  | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Mobile: +44 7973 377646
THUS plc            |                            |