Subject: [NSIS] Re: Update NSIS Charter (v 1.3)

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 19:53:31 GMT

*> 
  *> Although it's important to define what a user is going to get from
  *> QoS, it's at least as important to figure out how a network can
  *> deliver it. Too much user-emphasis can lead to coming up with
  *> signalling semantics that let the user "ask for" something which
  *> the network cannot deliver. To me, this goes along with the paragraph
  *> above, from Bob Braden: that is, what the user has to signal for
  *> something that a network provider can actually deliver and the
  *> properties of that "quality of service" must be quantifiable since
  *> the internal mechanisms of how the quality level is accomplished
  *> are unlikely to be exposed. I'd like to see some emphasis on just
  *> *what* is being signalled for, and some existence proof that it
  *> is realizable.
  *> 
  *> 	Kathie
  *> 
Kathie,

I would suggest that what providers can support is more determined by
both Political Correctness (as defined by certain somewhat emphatic
members of the community) and by short-range business arguments than by
actual technical or even economic fact.  The Internet got where it
is today by a long and determined technical effort to ignore short-term
business arguments (it's called X.25, ISDN, ATM ...) and get on with
Doing the Right Thing.  Eventually the providers figured it out, and
they will again.

Bob

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Kathleen Nichols <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 12:11:31 -0800

Bob,

I'm not sure at all what you mean by "Political Correctness" in
this context. I stand by my comment that what is being signalled
for ought to be demonstrably realizable.

	Kathie