Subject: RE: [NSIS] Initial ID on Signalling Requirements

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 11:39:09 +0200

Hi Brian,

> I am one of the authors of the "Application of Integrated Services on
> Wireless Accesses" drafts so I will comment on it. Georgios is better
> positioned to cover the "resource reservation issues" draft 
> than myself.

Thanks for the summary.  Some comments in line.

> This draft considers a wireless network where there are 
> different types of radio bearers that can be established. 

I think this is an important use area for NSIS.

> These different bearers have different characteristics. The main 
> reason for this of course is you want to optimise the use of the 
> precious radio resources, so you try to optimise the bearer for 
> the traffic it is to carry. For example, if you
> want to transfer voice data in real time, the optimal bearer would be
> low delay, but you could tolerate a quite high bit error 
> rate. The draft looks at a model for a radio bearer, and what 
> are the different characteristics that may be controlled.

If some of this can be seperated out (i.e. - problem area
and requiremnts), this could be very useful for NSIS.

> The draft further looks at the services and parameters provided with
> IntServ. The main conclusion that it draws is that additional
> information is needed to enable the host or the network to request a
> spectrum efficient bearer for networks that offer a variety of bearers
> such as wireless networks.

This is out of scope for NSIS at present.  After we have
completed our initial deliverables, I think we can consider
re-chartering and address how to map NSIS to specific
resource reservation mechanisms.
 
> I believe that the considerations of the layer 2 networks should be
> taken into account. I do not expect that to mean that the 
> information we see is necessary is provided in the "base protocol" 
> but that there will be a protocol extension for detailed traffic 
> characteristics to be carried to cater for the transport technologies 
> that need this information. 

I think it would be useful (at a later point in time) to address
this issue.

thanks,
John

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 08:46:46 +1100

> and requiremnts), this could be very useful for NSIS.
 
I would describe the problem area and requirements as below:

Problem area
Some layer 2 technologies (predominantly wireless) offer layer 2 bearers
with widely varying characteristics. Optimal QoS performance
(considering both QoS characteristics and cost) depends on the ability
to determine the most appropriate layer 2 bearer for the traffic.

Requirements
There is a requirement to provide sufficient detail about the traffic
flow specification and required QoS performance characteristics to
enable the selection of the optimal QoS bearer for technlogies that
provide multiple bearer options with different QoS characteristics. 

As new layer 2 technologies develop and older technologies may trail
off, the range of information that is needed for the available
technologies will vary. Thus, there is a need for a core set of
information aimed to cover the needs of a majority of layer 2
technologies. In addition, there must be an extensible mechanism to
provide other detailed information needed by specific layer 2
technologies.
/brian

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis