Subject: RE: [NSIS] Initial ID on Signalling Requirements

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2001 13:41:14 +0200

Hi Georgios,

> I think that at least two more requirements drafts should be included 
> in this discussion, i.e.,:
> "Resource Reservation Issues in Cellular Radio Access Networks"
> located at:

Could you provide a quick summary on why these are appropriate
for NSIS?  I read them some time ago, and I have to refresh
my memory.  A short summary would be helpful for all.

Thanks,
John

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Brian Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 13:49:27 +1100

Hi.
I am one of the authors of the "Application of Integrated Services on
Wireless Accesses" drafts so I will comment on it. Georgios is better
positioned to cover the "resource reservation issues" draft than myself.

This draft considers a wireless network where there are different types
of radio bearers that can be established. These different bearers have
different characteristics. The main reason for this of course is you
want to optimise the use of the precious radio resources, so you try to
optimise the bearer for the traffic it is to carry. For example, if you
want to transfer voice data in real time, the optimal bearer would be
low delay, but you could tolerate a quite high bit error rate. The draft
looks at a model for a radio bearer, and what are the different
characteristics that may be controlled.

The draft further looks at the services and parameters provided with
IntServ. The main conclusion that it draws is that additional
information is needed to enable the host or the network to request a
spectrum efficient bearer for networks that offer a variety of bearers
such as wireless networks.

I believe that the considerations of the layer 2 networks should be
taken into account. I do not expect that to mean that the information we
see is necessary is provided in the "base protocol" but that there will
be a protocol extension for detailed traffic characteristics to be
carried to cater for the transport technologies that need this
information. 
/brian