Subject: [NSIS] Comments on http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-karagiannis -nsis-wireless-requirements-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 15:30:35 +0200

Hi,

Some comments on
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-karagiannis-nsis-wireless-requirem
ents-00.txt

In your abstract, you state:

   The requirement for end-to-end QoS management does not necessarily
   mean that a single resource reservation signalling protocol must be
   applied end-to-end. In fact, it is most likely that the end-to-end
   QoS management architecture will consist of many interoperable and
   concatenated QoS management architectures rather than one global end-
   to-end QoS infrastructure.  This is also true in wireless networks,
   which usually consist of three network parts: a wireless interface
   part, and a wired part of the wireless network, and the backbone of
   the wireless network.  Each of these parts in the wireless network
   imposes different requirements on the QoS signalling solution.

Taking my chair hat off ...

I would disagree on this.  I think that end-to-end QoS management is
not the important issue - replace end-to-end with user-to-user and
you'll see why.  What I suggest is important is that end-to-end QoS
signaling is important, but end-to-end QoS management is not.  My
example is that if I 'call' you, I want to be able to tell you at
some level what kind of QoS I am using, that way, you can reply in
kind.  How the resources are managed should be the domain of the
service provider, not the user.

It might be useful to include a terminology section in the draft.

I'll try to comment more on the body of the document later.

Thanks,
John

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis