Subject: [NSIS] draft on QoS signaling req

From: Marcus Brunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 18:01:47 +0100

Dear all,

We have not been as fast as some other guys in putting together our 
thoughts on QoS signaling. However we finally managed after quite a bit of 
discussion among the author team.

You can find the draft at
http://www.epic.roke.co.uk/epic/draft-brunner-nsis-req-00.txt

Since the scope of the potential WG was not clear for use, we put togeter a 
set of use cases (which definitly can be refined) and tried to figure out 
what the requirements for a particular use case is. Whether the use cases 
are in or out of scope of the potential WG is something we would like to 
discuss in the plenum at SLC.

Title:
Requirements for QoS Signaling Protocols

Abstract

   This draft proposes a set of requirements for signaling QoS across
   different network environments. To achieve wide applicability of the
   requirements, the starting point is a diverse set of user scenarios
   concerning both access and core networks, application interactions,
   and use within cellular networks.  We also provide an outline
   structure for the problem, including QoS related terminology. Taken
   with the user scenarios, this allows us to focus more precisely on
   which parts of the overall QoS problem needs to be solved. We
   present the assumptions and the aspects not considered within scope
   before listing the requirements grouped according to areas such as
   architecture and design goals, signaling flows, layering,
   performance, flexibility, security, and mobility. The motivation for
   each requirement is included as well as a distinction between
   requirements that should be met by the core part of the solution and
   those that could be implemented as extensions.

Marcus

--------------------------------------
Dr. Marcus Brunner
Network Laboratories
NEC Europe Ltd.

E-Mail: [email-masked]
WWW:    http://www.ccrle.nec.de/
personal home page: http://www.brubers.org

Adenauerplatz 6
D-69115 Heidelberg
Germany

Phone: +49 (0)6221/ 9051129
Fax:   +49 (0)6221/ 9051155

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis