Subject: RE: [NSIS] Comments on http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft- karagiannis -nsis-wireless-requirements-00.txt

From: "Georgios Karagiannis (ELN)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 16:35:50 +0100

Hi John

Thank you very much for your comments!
Please see my comments in line:

>> What I suggest is important is that end-to-end QoS
>> signaling is important, but end-to-end QoS management is not.  My
>> example is that if I 'call' you, I want to be able to tell you at
>> some level what kind of QoS I am using, that way, you can reply in
>> kind.  

A very important key here is that an end-user should be able to use 
any kind of applications, ranging from simple ones like e-mail,
up to demanding real time applications which are requiring a high 
performance (low delay, low loss rate, assured bandwidth) from 
the Internet.
Such real time applications will impose several QoS requirements
on the network(s) that offer these applications. 

What we are now trying to say in the abstract is that an end-user 
will be satisfied, when the quality of the offered application,
is good enough. This is achieved when the QoS requirements are 
satisfied and the QoS is provided by the network(s) on and end 
to end basis.
This end to end QoS provisioning can be achieved 
by many interoperable and concatenated QoS management architectures. 
Therefore, we think that an end to end QoS management is very important.

QoS signaling is just a tool that enables the end to end QoS provisioning,
and can be used edge-to-edge, end-to-edge or end-to-end.

>> How the resources are managed should be the domain of the
>> service provider, not the user.

Agree the resources are managed by one or more network providers and 
not by the user. If this is not clear in the abstract, we will modify it!

Best regards,
Georgios

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: dinsdag 27 november 2001 14:31
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [NSIS] Comments on
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-karagiannis-nsis-wireless-requirements-00.txt

Hi,

Some comments on
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-karagiannis-nsis-wireless-requirem
ents-00.txt

In your abstract, you state:

   The requirement for end-to-end QoS management does not necessarily
   mean that a single resource reservation signalling protocol must be
   applied end-to-end. In fact, it is most likely that the end-to-end
   QoS management architecture will consist of many interoperable and
   concatenated QoS management architectures rather than one global end-
   to-end QoS infrastructure.  This is also true in wireless networks,
   which usually consist of three network parts: a wireless interface
   part, and a wired part of the wireless network, and the backbone of
   the wireless network.  Each of these parts in the wireless network
   imposes different requirements on the QoS signalling solution.

Taking my chair hat off ...

I would disagree on this.  I think that end-to-end QoS management is
not the important issue - replace end-to-end with user-to-user and
you'll see why.  What I suggest is important is that end-to-end QoS
signaling is important, but end-to-end QoS management is not.  My
example is that if I 'call' you, I want to be able to tell you at
some level what kind of QoS I am using, that way, you can reply in
kind.  How the resources are managed should be the domain of the
service provider, not the user.

It might be useful to include a terminology section in the draft.

I'll try to comment more on the body of the document later.

Thanks,
John

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis