Subject: RE: [NSIS] Support needed for Throughput Adaptive QoS in wireless

From: "Geib, Ruediger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 15:03:00 +0100

> > I'd favour adaptive applications also in the QoS case. 
> > Network to user re-negotiation means more complexity and it 
> > requires extra signalling. Leave it to the apps. A network 
> > may overbook, if it is aware that most apps are adaptive. 
> > This requires no extra procedures.
> 
> NSIS cannot insist on adaptive applications, that is out of
> scope.  Perhaps we could think that an NSIS protocol
> could support re-negotiation (and allow a user to insist
> on no re-negotiaion - but this starts to get into policy).

I don't demand adaptive applications. All I say is that negotiation is not a basic QoS signalling requirement. 

Regards, Rüdiger

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Paulo Mendes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 19:20:40 -0500

> I don't demand adaptive applications. All I say is that negotiation is not a basic QoS signalling requirement. 

I agree with John when he says that NSIS should provide support for 
re-negotiation/adaptation.
So, what is the NSIS requirement in this case? I think it's related with 
the type of information NSIS should provide to allow adaptation or 
re-negotiation.

Considering all the references to RSVP in this thread, the amount of 
resources reserved in the network can be the information to supply 
applications with. However this information is only useful if the 
network has per-flow reservation end-to-end, which isn't always true. If 
some kind of data aggregation in used in (part of) the network, e.g. 
DiffServ, the information that applications require from NSIS if not the 
amount of resources reserved to the DiffServ class/service they are 
using, but the amount of those resources that are allocated to their 
session.

Therefore, IMHO what applications need from a QoS signalling protocol is 
a dynamic notification about the rate they are entitle to receive during 
their session.
How is NSIS functionality affected by this requirement? IMHO, NSIS 
should consider the distribution of resources inside a DiffServ class 
and not only the resources reserved to each class in each domain by RSVP 
or other protocol. Probably this last sentence should be used when 
discussing NSIS functionality and not its requirements.:)

Best regards,
Paulo Mendes

-- 
| Paulo Mendes
| www.cs.columbia.edu/~mendes