Subject: RE: [NSIS] Charter of nsis

From: "Loughney John (NRC/Helsinki)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:13:11 +0200

Hi,

> I am new to this group. I read most of discussions and am 
> confused with the charter of this group.  In my mind, RSVP is 
> more than signaling since it specifies how routers should behave 
> and so on.  Is nsis' goal is to define something like RSVP and 
> specify the behavior of networks to meet the
> signaling?  I would appreciate any clarification.

No, we are looking at using RSVP only for signaling so that
some features of RSVP may not be needed.  Also, we can
think of 'creative' ways in which to use RSVP for signaling
that may require additional specification.

best regards,
John

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Steven Berson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:54:22 -0800 (PST)

RSVP is just the signalling.  Please take the time to read RFC 2205
(and associated documents) if there is any confusion.  Perhaps, a 
reading list (in priority order) about RSVP and Integrated Services 
would be useful.

I would start with:

RFC	Title
---	-----
1633	Integrated Services in the Internet Architecture: an Overview
2205	Resource ReSerVation Protocol (RSVP) -- Version 1 Functional 
	Specification
2210	The Use of RSVP with IETF Integrated Services
2961	RSVP Refresh Overhead Reduction Extensions
3209	RSVP-TE: Extensions to RSVP for LSP Tunnels

RFC 1633 gives the broad architecture for RSVP and Integrated 
Services.  RFC 2205 is the RSVP specification.  RFC 2210 describes how 
RSVP actually signals for specific services.  RFC 2961 gives a variety 
of optimizations for RSVP to deal with fast setup of reservations and 
reducing the number of refresh messages.  RFC 3209 describes how RSVP 
is used for MPLS.

In addition the following RFCs are useful and define two types of 
Quality of Service as well as a general template for a service.  I've 
already mentioned RFC 2998 before.

RFC	Title
---	-----
2211	Specification of the Controlled-Load Network Element Service
2212	Specification of Guaranteed Quality of Service
2216	Network Element Service Specification Template
2998	A Framework for Integrated Services Operation over Diffserv
	Networks

Finally, there a lot of other RFCs that are also directly related to 
RSVP (and signalling in general) and integrated services that I list 
for (I hope) completeness.

RFC	Title
---	-----
2206	RSVP Management Information Base using SMIv2
2207	RSVP Extensions for IPSEC Data Flows
2208	Resource ReSerVation Protocol (RSVP) -- Version 1 
	Applicability Statement Some Guidelines on Deployment
2209	Resource ReSerVation Protocol (RSVP) -- Version 1 Message
	Processing Rules
2213	Integrated Services Management Information Base using SMIv2
2214	Integrated Services Management Information Base Guaranteed
	Service Extensions using SMIv2
2215	General Characterization Parameters for Integrated Service
	Network Elements
2379	RSVP over ATM Implementation Guidelines
2380	RSVP over ATM Implementation Requirements
2381	Interoperation of Controlled-Load Service and Guaranteed 
	Service with ATM
2382	A Framework for Integrated Services and RSVP over ATM
2688	Integrated Services Mappings for Low Speed Networks
2689	Providing Integrated Services over Low-bitrate Links
2745	RSVP Diagnostic Messages
2746	RSVP Operation Over IP Tunnels
2747	RSVP Cryptographic Authentication
2748	The COPS (Common Open Policy Service) Protocol
2749	COPS usage for RSVP
2750	RSVP Extensions for Policy Control
2751	Signaled Preemption Priority Policy Element
2752	Identity Representation for RSVP
2753	A Framework for Policy-based Admission Control
2814	SBM (Subnet Bandwidth Manager): A Protocol for RSVP-based
	Admission Control over IEEE 802-style networks
2815	Integrated Service Mappings on IEEE 802 Networks
2816	A Framework for Integrated Services Over Shared and Switched 
	IEEE 802 LAN Technologies
2872	Application and Sub Application Identity Policy Element for 
	Use with RSVP
2996	Format of the RSVP DCLASS Object
2997	Specification of the Null Service Type
3006	Integrated Services in the Presence of Compressible Flows
3097	RSVP Cryptographic Authentication -- Updated Message Type 
	Value
3175	Aggregation of RSVP for IPv4 and IPv6 Reservations
3182	Identity Representation for RSVP
3210	Applicability Statement for Extensions to RSVP for LSP-Tunnels

Regards,
Steve