Subject: RE: [NSIS] Support needed for Throughput Adaptive QoS in wireless

From: "Roy, Radhika R, ALASO" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 09:41:23 -0500

Inline [RRR]

-----Original Message-----
From: Paulo Mendes [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2002 9:17 PM
To: Roy, Radhika R, ALASO
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [NSIS] Support needed for Throughput Adaptive QoS in
wireless

There are references in this thread to adaptive applications and 
applications that require re-negotiation of QoS parameters. However 
these are two different type of applications.
I agree with you that re-negotiation require extra signalling from NSIS. 
However this extra burden don't exist with adaptive applications, which 
I think only require to be notified by NSIS about the available network 
quality... So the requirements imposed to NSIS by these two types of 
applications are different.

[RRR] Not really. We do not know what is the definition of adaptive application (can you cite an example that is being used?). If we assume that an adaptive application is able to adapt the QOS in accordance to the needs of the lower layer QOS, even then NSIS QOS will be able to satisfy its needs. Because the adaptive application, as I understand from your term with limited knowledge, will not use all capabilities of the NSIS QOS. It will rather will use a sub-set of the NSIS QOS capability.

[RRR] It is also not clear how an adaptive application will behave when QOS needs to be agreed upon between the two parties. Can you please provide some examples to know their behavior?

Best Regards,
Paulo Mendes

Roy, Radhika R, ALASO wrote:

> Hi, John:
> 
> I agree with you and like to add a little more [RRR].
> 
> Best regards,
> Radhika
> 

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Paulo Mendes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 16:06:12 -0500

> [RRR] Not really. We do not know what is the definition of adaptive application (can you cite an example that is being used?). If we assume that an adaptive application is able to adapt the QOS in…

[PM] By adaptive applications I mean applications that have the 
capability to adjust the rate they are using depending upon the 
available network resources. For this they need to be notified by the 
network about the quality level they are entitle to during the session.
As an example of an adaptive mechanism I can mention RLM from Steve 
McCanne as receiver-driven and MLDA from Dorgham Sisalem as 
source-driven. I can also mention an application that allows 
receiver-driven adaptation since receivers can adjust the video quality 
adjusting the number of video layers they receive: Rendez-Vous 
(http://www.gaia-interactive.com/rv/)
Therefore, I think adaptive applications support should be considered in 
  the NSIS Framework, as was proposed by David Partain.

> [RRR] It is also not clear how an adaptive application will behave when QOS needs to be agreed upon between the two parties. Can you please provide some examples to know their behavior?

[PM] During setup I think they might behave exactly as the other 
applications, i.e., they will try to negotiate a quality level with the 
network. I only meant that during the session, adaptive applications 
differ from applications that require re-negotiation since the latter 
will require extra signalling.

Cheers
Paulo

-- 
| Paulo Mendes
| www.cs.columbia.edu/~mendes