Subject: RE: Independence of signalling and data path (was RE: [NSIS] Two kindsof requirements)

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 15:50:29 +0200

> Thus, in GENERAL the path followed by signaling 
> messages and the path followed by user data packets (associated
> to these signaling messages) MUST BE THE SAME!!
> 
> 
Interestingly enough, I am right now involved in a thread in a different
standards group, where customers (service providers) argue strongly that
any control plane protocol should not consume bandwidth at the expense
of the customer traffic. Their argument is that it is not possible to
provide a coherent set of deterministic services if an non-deterministic
amount of the customer bandwidth is consumed by the control plane.

Regards,

Dan

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: "Andrew Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 11:29:53 -0800

Dan,

I think that's a specious argument that they are using (in 802.3 Ethernet
First Mile I assume you mean) to try to force an out-of-band management
channel as part of that standard. And if there's sufficient control-plane
traffic to measureably and significantly affect the determinism of the
service offered then I think there are bigger problems with the control
protocol (or possibly you are trying to allocate resource chunks that are
way too small)!

And do you remember some of the ATM Forum debates where some people were
arguing that the control protocol (UNI signaling) must not contain
end-user-defined fields because they could be used for theft-of-service?
That line of reasoning was abandoned though when someone pointed out that
the presence or absence of a signaling request or response in a given time
interval could be construed as a 1-bit, presumably un-billed-for, message in
itself ...

Andrew Smith

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Romascanu, Dan (Dan)
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2002 5:50 AM
To: Georgios Karagiannis (ELN); [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Independence of signalling and data path (was RE: [NSIS]
Two kindsof requirements)

Regards,

Dan

---

From: Marcus Brunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:56:32 +0100

However, I think today are enough means available to seperate control 
traffic from user traffic.

MArcus

> amount of the customer bandwidth is consumed by the control plane.

--------------------------------------
Dr. Marcus Brunner
Network Laboratories
NEC Europe Ltd.

E-Mail: [email-masked]
WWW:    http://www.ccrle.nec.de/
personal home page: http://www.brubers.org/marcus