Subject: [NSIS] Requirements for NSIS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 15:02:06 -0000

First of all, I must apologise if any of this is already covered, I have
"skimmed" the last two days emails.
 
We have had some very nice chats. Now we need to move forward.

Here are some observations against some recent posts:

[email-masked] wrote (in reply to [email-masked])
Hi Ping,

> Before we define end-to-end, edge-to-edge and 
> domain-to-domain, ask the 
> following:
> 
> - why do we signal in the first place?
> - where do we need to signal?
> - will signaling work in provider's networks?
> 
> We signal because there is no QoS when we are using some inter-active 
> real-time applications. Since most of the Internet traffic is 
> not within the scope of this "inter-active" and "real-time", let's not 
> consider a kitchen-sink signaling protocol.

I agree.  You are asking very good questions and these are
the items we should focus on.

John
--------------

Dick Knight:
Good questions. But then, why is Internet Traffic not within scope? Why are
only "inter-active" and "real-time" within scope?

Businesses will pay money for "IP VPN" between geographical locations, using
service provider networks.
They want the same sort of responsiveness they get on their LAN. So wouldn't
QoS enable IP VPN sell?
Why have a different solution for that?

REQUIREMENT: NSIS should support QoS signalling requests from the end-user
REGARDLESS of the application.
--
ADAPTIVE Applications.
(too much discussion to extract)
We all agree that:
	The wireless part of the mobile access network needs adaptive
solutions. These are application, network and sceanrio dependent. Much
needed, but not part of NSIS.
HOWEVER, NSIS should support adaptive applications, and I think the
consensus is moving to ... by the support for negotiation and
re-negotiation. It is still the application that controls the negotiation in
NSIS, but (one example) triggered by a network congestion indication in the
application flow packets (e.g. RTCP packets).

If we carry on with the adaptive thread we will re-invent TCP throttling,
ISUP ACC, and Q.2931 GFC (or even ^S ^Q interactions in RS232).
--

[email-masked] wrote (in reply to [email-masked]):
>What happens with one-to-many applications like video-on-demand or 
>> InternetTV? In this case you can't establish a session level QoS 
>> agreement between provider and clients before the session 
>> starts (and so before the reservation of resources) because you would 
>> not know all your clients at that time.
>
>Currently, I do not see this as a major part of NSIS.  I think this
>should be held for later consideration.  I do not see that VOD or
>Internet TV as burning issues.  I'm hoping we focus on one-to-one
>signaling.

Dick Knight:
	VoD may or may not be muticast, it is undefined. Internet TV (and
radio) is.
The problem is that support for multicast/multi-enduser cannot be added
later. It is like
security (and even QoS!) these things are easier designed in in the first
place.
So we ought to have multicast at the back of our minds and at aleast put
some "hooks for the future" in.

REQUIREMENT: NSIS needs to be extensible to multicast applications and
"connections" (streams?).
--

More basic requirements that have not been addressed:
NSIS signalling shall be .... Robust, reliable, secure, simple.
NSIS signalling shall be ... able to request the Establishment, Negotiation,
Maintenance, Modification and Release of communications streams (or
connections?) between two or more end-users. Such requests shall be acted
upon by all end-users and networks supporting the NSIS signalling, as
depicted in the framework document ....

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Paulo Mendes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 16:46:27 -0500

Hello

Since most of the threads in this mailing list are being discussed for 
some time, I also agree that some point of the situation about NSIS 
requirements should be made, and this is a good start..

I agree that the points Dick mention in this e-mail about supporting: 
QoS signalling requests from the end-user, adaptive application and 
multicast are relevant to be included in the NSIS requirements list.

Cheers
Paulo

-- 
| Paulo Mendes
| www.cs.columbia.edu/~mendes