Subject: RE: [NSIS] Support needed for Throughput Adaptive QoS in wireles s

From: "Geib, Ruediger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 09:56:48 +0100

Paulo,

> [PM] It should be interesting to complement this congestion 
> notification with some information to help applications to
> converge quickly to the optimal rate. Let say for example
> inform applications about the bandwidth the network allocs
> to their session. NSIS could get this information from
> network level protocols.

Adding resource reduction information per application may be a good idea. But it means we'd have to find a simple way of letting the resource reducing node learn which applications currently are active and which amounts of rates may be reduced per application. It further may have to learn the addresses of these applications.
As you say, deriving rate reduction targets for aggregates may not be useful. Looking at a core network node, a congestion notification sent upstream certainly is reasonable. The rate/duration of congestion notifications or a signalled weight may indicate how severe the congestion is. "Per flow signalling nodes" closer to the application or the application itself could interpret the congestion notification and decide on target rates for applications. The absence of congestion notifications may then result in a return to standard rate.

Regards, Rüdiger  

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Paulo Mendes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 15:08:33 -0500

> As you say, deriving rate reduction targets for aggregates may not be useful. Looking at a core network node, a congestion notification sent upstream certainly is reasonable. The rate/duration of c…

Yes.. I agree that we need to find this simple way of letting the 
network (I say edge routers for sake of scalability) know which 
applications/sessions should have their bandwidth increased or 
decreased. This because one of NSIS requirements, in my opinion, is to 
inform the client about the quality level his entitle to, at setup up 
and during the session.

However, probably is better to include this study in the future 
discussion of NSIS framework. By now the point is to discuss 
requirements. IMHO, NSIS notification to clients should be included in 
the requirements list. And this notification should be more than a 
congestion/non-congestion notification, as I mentioned before.

As example of one advantage of sure notification, I could say motivate 
clients to adapt to quality oscillations, re-negotiate or just leave the 
session freeing resources for others.

Cheers
Paulo

-- 
| Paulo Mendes
| www.cs.columbia.edu/~mendes