Subject: RE: [NSIS] Two kinds of requirements

From: "Loughney John (NRC/Helsinki)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 14:45:02 +0200

Hi Georgios,

> By mandatory, I mean, requirements that MUST be supported 
> (used) by a node and optional are requirements that 
> MAY be supported by a node!

If it is optional, then it is not required.

John

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: David Partain <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:25:27 +0100

Hi,

> If it is optional, then it is not required.

I think we're getting wrapped around the axle a bit.  What I
think Georgios means is that there are environments where a
certain kind of feature make sense and is considered mandatory.
There are others where that same feature would be considered
a waste of memory and cpu cycles.  I think we need to get
away from the discussion about words being used to describe
this issue.  I believe the issue certainly exists, and it
would be best if what we are working on allows us to have
"domain-specific features" and the "everyone-has it features".
If we don't do this, then vendors are certain to invent
non-standard ways to have their "domain-specific features".
That wouldn't be good.

Cheers,

-- 
David Partain                  [email-masked]
Ericsson Research's LinLab     Tel: +46 13 28 41 44
P.O. Box 1248                  Fax: +46 13 28 75 67
SE-581 12 Linköping, Sweden    #include <stddisclaimer.h>