Subject: RE: [NSIS] Two kinds of requirements

From: "Allen, Keith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 11:00:30 -0600

Hi Paulo,

> What happens with one-to-many applications like video-on-demand or 
> InternetTV? In this case you can't establish a session level QoS 
> agreement between provider and clients before the session 
> starts (and so before the reservation of resources) because you would 
> not know all your clients at that time.

Currently, I do not see this as a major part of NSIS.  I think this
should be held for later consideration.  I do not see that VOD or
Internet TV as burning issues.  I'm hoping we focus on one-to-one
signaling.

John

Actually, I would like to see NSIS address this issue.  I don't see all the
clients have to be known at the beginning of the session, though.  The
content provider can merely instantiate the session, and others can join or
drop as they wish (or be added and dropped by the content provider, if
that's how we decide we want it to work).  As far as determining what the
QoS of the session will be, that would be up to the content provider.

Keith Allen
SBC Technology Resources
9505 Arboretum Blvd.
Austin, TX 78759
(512) 372-5741
[email-masked]

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	[email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent:	Thursday, January 24, 2002 10:52 AM
To:	[email-masked]
Cc:	[email-masked]
Subject:	RE: [NSIS] Two kinds of requirements

Hi Paulo,

> What happens with one-to-many applications like video-on-demand or 
> InternetTV? In this case you can't establish a session level QoS 
> agreement between provider and clients before the session 
> starts (and so before the reservation of resources) because you would 
> not know all your clients at that time.

Currently, I do not see this as a major part of NSIS.  I think this
should be held for later consideration.  I do not see that VOD or
Internet TV as burning issues.  I'm hoping we focus on one-to-one
signaling.

John

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Paulo Mendes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 17:35:01 -0500

I agree with Keith. When I mentioned one-to-many applications I wasn't 
trying to complicate things and delay deliverables. However completely 
neglect other type of applications except one-to-one, probably we're 
restricting NSIS to IP telephony.

I was seeing NSIS to be used by multimedia applications, which require 
more then best effort quality. From this group I think video 
applications will be more one-to-many than one-to-one.

So, we should make clear in this phase what type of traffic NSIS will 
deal with.

If NSIS establish a sender-receiver negotiation for sessions setup, I 
don't see how can we use other applications beside one-to-one.
I think that a more flexible setup should be used. The approach mention 
by Keith seems more flexible and not very complicated. In the end it 
divides the source-receiver negotiation in:
a) a source-network negotiation, where the content provider can 
negotiate the minimum quality he wants to sell his service with.
b) a receiver-network "negotiation" where the receiver joins the session 
and:
   b.1) accepts the quality level of the session or tries to negotiate 
a quality increase during the setup, if it is intolerant to quality 
oscillations;
   b.2) accepts the quality level and adapt to posterior quality 
oscillations during the session, if it is tolerant to quality oscillations.

Cheers
Paulo

-- 
| Paulo Mendes
| www.cs.columbia.edu/~mendes