Subject: RE: [NSIS] Two kinds of requirements

From: "Loughney John (NRC/Helsinki)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 13:15:40 +0200

Hi all,

> Good point, my question is whether the operator more likely opt for a 
> simple solution, with little flexibility, which implies no 
> competition in the type of services offered, since these are
standardized 
> (I assume there is still a lot of differentiation possible with weaker

> service parameters)

I've been wondering if this is a spurious argument.  I cannot think of 
how service providers could use QoS as a service.  What I have been 
hearing from service providers is that they would like to be able
to provide certain QoS levels for customers, but they would like
to be free to deploy / allocate resources as they see fit.  

With the PSTN, there SHOULD be only one quality, but in practice,
when calling overseas, I tend to get quite variable quality - of course
I still pay the same price ...

Additionally, I think we need to start somewhere, and I think that we 
need to be able to set some base line for signaling QoS. This does not
mean that we cannot allow more to be done / offered, but we want
to start with a minimum.  One option could be that we allow a simple
solution that supports optional extras.  These extras could be used
by service providers for enhanced services, but we don't specify 
them.

best regards,
John

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Marcus Brunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 12:51:50 +0100

John,

[...]

> to be free to deploy / allocate resources as they see fit.

As soon as you signal QoS from the host into the network, you ask for an IP 
transport service with certain guarantees. IMO, this MUST be independent of 
the ressource allocation, technology etc. within the providers network.

> I still pay the same price ...

In the PSTN case you signal even on a higher level. You ask for a voice 
communication from A to B, where A and B might be persons not even network 
end-points. So, signalling for QoS, ressource allocation, session 
initiation  is integrated.

In IP, you can only signal for a transport service without specifying what 
is transported.

Marcus

> by service providers for enhanced services, but we don't specify

--------------------------------------
Dr. Marcus Brunner
Network Laboratories
NEC Europe Ltd.

E-Mail: [email-masked]
WWW:    http://www.ccrle.nec.de/
personal home page: http://www.brubers.org/marcus