Subject: [NSIS] About QoS singaling for Mobile IP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 03:49:37 +0200

Hi,

The following alternatives could be a basis of a solution for QoS
signaling for Mobile IP According to [BCS99]:

*	A new special signaling protocol.
*	Special Mobile IP protocol options to be exchanged between MN /
default router / QoS Agents.
*	Mobile nodes could request reservations via RSVP. These
reservations can be accepted or rejected by some local router dependent
on whether the SLA of the foreign network is sufficient or not. For this
scenario, the concepts developed by the RSVP Admission and Policy work
group of the IETF can be applied. A problem with RSVP might be that RSVP
is able to support receiver-driven reservations only. Probably for
sender-driven reservations, RSVP needs to be modified slightly.
*	Layer-4-Switching concepts or other signaling protocols: Another
approach could be to avoid explicit signaling support for requesting a
service and to try to identify flows which shall get a DiffServ service.
Those flows could be H.323 flows, HTTP flows or any other long-lived or
high-volume traffic flows. Such a flow identification functionality
could be installed at a mobility agent or first-hop-router. The task of
such a router is to identify flows, assign DiffServ Codepoints (DSCPs)
and request the establishment / modification of a SLA at the nearest QoS
Agent or directly at the ISP. This concept is similar to the MF
classification concept.
Binding Update, Binding Acknowledge, Binding Request are defined in the
[MobileIPv6]. They are used for  mobility management of the MN. Based on
the mechanisms of these signalings, we prefer to the second alternative
listed above. We defined some special Mobile IPv6 protocol options to
extend the existing signalings for advance resource reservation and QoS
negotiation which allows a MN to indicate the kind of desired service.
The procedures of QoS negotiation are given when MN is a sender or a
receiver too. 
The main advantage of our idea is as follows:
*	Extending the existing signalings defined in Mobile IPv6 base
protocol;
*	QoS negotation and movement management of MN occurs
simultaneously, so the overhead on network is reduced;
*	Easy implementation.
[BCS99] Braun, Castelluccia, and Stattenberger: An Analysis of the
DiffServ Approach in Mobile Environments, IWQiM´99

Comments and suggestons are welcome!
BR/Kan Zhigang

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis