Subject: RE: [NSIS] Two kinds of requirements

From: "Roy, Radhika R, ALASO" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 11:20:03 -0500

Inputs are inline [RRR]

-----Original Message-----
From: Chen, Weijing [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2002 10:52 AM
To: 'Georgios Karagiannis (ELN)'
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [NSIS] Two kinds of requirements

Georgios,

First of all, the major objective for NSIS signaling for a service operator
point of view is that KISS (keep it simple, stupid?). We have seen some very
good protocol in technical never got a chance to see the light in real world
commercially.  Now based on this assumption, I have a question regarding the
[everyhop] part of protocol: Who is initiating and constructing it content?
If it is host, I am afraid that we may ask too much for the host. Now if we
let [edge] to inject some additional information for [everyhop] instead of
[host], then it could be a solution. [edge] is intelligent and powerful, it
knows a lot more about the core [hop] than [host]. We should insulate the
[host] from what the network it except necessary part.

[RRR] Host will only express its needs to satisfy the applications. We can standardize in a simple way how a host can express its needs.

[RRR] Edge is where the actual implementation starts: Complex signaling to reserve the resources. An edge might have to work with an entity (e.g., proxy/bandwidth broker) that has the global knowledge for the end-to-end topology and can implement QOS dynamically. 

[RRR] In other cases, SLAs will help to ensure what needs to be done in each domain/segment where the end-to-end path/QOS allocation is priori known. Each domain will implement its own part.

--
Weijing Chen
SBC Technology Resources
9505 Arboretum Blvd.
Austin, TX 78759
512 372 5710
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: "jmaeng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 10:49:00 -0600

Hi all,
I am new to this group. I read most of discussions and am confused with the
charter of this group.  In my mind, RSVP is more than signaling since it
specifies how routers should behave and so on.  Is nsis' goal is to define
something like RSVP and specify the behavior of networks to meet the
signaling?  I would appreciate any clarification.
Joon