Subject: [NSIS] Co-ordination work between NSIS and IEEE 802.11 TG-E

From: "Shahrier, Sharif M." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 15:53:38 -0500

I wanted to put this out as a topic of discussion, as a possible joint
co-ordinated work between NSIS and IEEE 802.11 TG-E.

TG-E have been tasked with enhancing the 802.11 MAC to improve and manage
QoS. I am not sure what is the current status of this work, perhaps
participants to TG-E can provide some information. 

I believe an important study item is to figure out how QoS signaling
protocols from TG-E should interact with NSIS QoS signaling protocols.

I am aware that SEAMOBY has presented a case to TG-F where 802.11 ESS
infrastructure networks could be connected together with a router(s) in
between. How to interwork IAPP with IETF's handover protocol was the topic.

I would assume that L2 QoS signaling would terminate at the AP, and further
signaling would then be needed to transport QoS parameters across
interconnected router(s). This signaling would subsequently terminate at the
destination AP, where L2 signaling is again used.  The middle part, i.e.
transport of QoS parameters across disparate QoS domain is NSIS.

Thus, as a study:

- need to determine how and which L2 parameters need to be extracted.
- How to transform and map them to L3 parameters for sinaling
- How the two signaling protocols should interact.

I think it is worthwhile to present a case for this to TG-E at the Vancouver
Plenary.

Any interest and comments would be appreciated.

Sharif.

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 06:26:12 +0300

Hi Sharif,

Chair hat on, I think it is good to encourage discussion between
the IETF & other bodies (like the IEEE).  I am not active in the
IEEE, but I would encourage those who are to try to open a dialog.

John

> -----Original Message-----
> From: ext Shahrier, Sharif M. 
> [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 05 April, 2002 23:54
> To: Shahrier, Sharif M.; [email-masked]
> Subject: [NSIS] Co-ordination work between NSIS and IEEE 802.11 TG-E
> 
> 
>