Subject: [NSIS] Preemption

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 10:44:11 -0600

Preemption is real and will continue to be real in the real world for decades
and/or longer.

Preemption, other than by randomizing mechanisms, is a deterministic action
based on local policy *only* when there are in place certain differentiators
between packets/flows to appropriately perform this action.

Preemption shouldn't be mandatory in all product implementations. However, the
ability to perform this action shouldn't be omitted from this WG's output.

The ability to preempt should be optional, and if chosen, should have specific
definitions to follow coming from NSIS.

For examples of preemption in today's networks, merely look at eMLPP in GSM
networks which has 15 levels of Priority with 5 of these levels having
hierarchical preemption characteristics operational. Look at MLPP in US DOD and
NATO networks (5 levels). Verizon and VoiceStream petitioned the US FCC (Nov
01) to each "enable" eMLPP Preemption in their public deployments of Wireless
throughout the US (if not North America). Many countries have preemption within
their existing PSTN today, many others forbid it (to clarify - the US is *NOT*
one of them).

If NSIS wants to migrate any of these networks over to IP, or be part of any
migration or transition, preemption ought to be defined the WG, albeit as an
option - with specifics surrounding that/those options.

*************************************
"People generally demand more respect for their own rights than they are
willing to allow for others"

James M. Polk
Consulting Engineer
Office of the CTO

Cisco Systems
2200 East President George Bush Turnpike 
Richardson, TX  75082 USA
w) 972.813.5208
f)  972.813.5280
www.cisco.com