Subject: [NSIS] Establishing QoS after handoff.

From: "Shahrier, Sharif M." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 15:34:56 -0500

I have a question for clarification.

I think it was stated that NSIS should only be concerned with the
establishment of QoS after handoff.

This is inconvienent with respect to IP-level QoS negotiation, which ideally
should be done before handoff has taken place.

QoS negotiation is in the current requirements draft.

So, NSIS signaling protocol development should be concerned with activity
before handoff occurs.

Sharif.

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: "Xiaoming Fu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 00:19:23 +0200

Hi Sharif,

I think most users will be glad to have a basic "best effort" service first
during handoffs. However in the case a user wants the service only
when the QoS can be met, beforehand or parrerally signal the QoS
information so that the such a handoff can be made only upon this
might be helpful. In this sense I agree with your concern regarding the
sequence of QoS signaling(and establishment if necessary) and
handoff. Decoupling QoS signaling and handoff is fine for NSIS design,
but IMO there is also need for providing QoS for some stringent users.

Regards
Xiaoming