Subject: RE: [NSIS] Establishing QoS after handoff.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 07:27:55 +0300

Hi all,

Just to follow on to Hemant's comment:

> There is currently a debate going on in Seamoby as to whether 
> this QoS negotiation be covered by NSIS or Seamoby (CAR 
> discovery protocol). 
> 
> IMHO it should be covered by CAR discovery and not NSIS. CAR 
> discovery is supposed to identify candidate access routers 
> for handoff and QoS is an important property for candidacy. 

CAR discovery may be used to select handoff targets with
correct QoS support / capabilities.  Context Transfer (CT)
can be used with the handoff procedure to ensure proper
QoS state gets transfered to the new access router.

If there is anyone interested in this work, please let me
know.  The SeaMoby chairs asked me to see if NSIS can provide
them any information about QoS needs.

thanks,
John

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Cedric Westphal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 18:43:22 -0800

John,

just one question:

>QoS state gets transfered to the new access router.

how does the CAR know whether or not it is able to provide the QoS
for the flows of the MN. If the question is QoS on the MN-CAR link,
then it is easy, but what if the question is on the CAR-CN side?

It seems to me that in Seamoby, both CARD and CT could act as triggers
to NSIS (QI I guess). CARD to assess whether the CAR-CN is available,
using NSIS as a probing mechanism, and CT to make the NAR-CN QoS
re-establishment.

>them any information about QoS needs.
Then both CARD and CT would need NSIS input/interaction...
Cheers,

Cedric.