Subject: [NSIS] PPS and MF-PHB

From: "MORITA, Naotaka" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 11:35:15 +0900

I would like to draw QoS experts attention to the following three documents.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-morita-tsvwg-pps-01.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-morita-tsvwg-mfphb-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-morita-tsvwg-mfverify-00.txt

I am going to make a presentation on Monday morning at TSV WG.

Naotaka
----
         Title           : Framework of Priority Promotion Scheme
         Author(s)       : N. Morita, G. Karlsson
         Filename        : draft-morita-tsvwg-pps-01.txt
         Pages           : 18
         Date            : 2003-10-27

This document describes a framework of a new scheme for traffic
control to achieve end-to-end QoS for interactive multimedia
services.  The scheme is based on end-to-end measurement of network
resources by end systems.  The network is assumed to fully support
the priority control scheme specified in the Diffserv architecture
for QoS and SIP [1]  for session control.  Since the scheme relies on
the behavior of the end systems, this document also touches on
mechanisms for monitoring end-system behavior.

------
         Title           : Measurable Forwarding: A New per-Hop Behavior (PHB)
         Author(s)       : N. Morita
         Filename        : draft-morita-tsvwg-mfphb-00.txt
         Pages           : 19
         Date            : 2003-11-2

The Priority Promotion Scheme (PPS) is a new scheme for traffic
control; specifically, the PPS achieves end-to-end QoS for
interactive multimedia services by exercising admission control for a
series of packets on a packet-based network.  The scheme is based on
the end-to-end measurement of network resources by end systems.  The
destination end system notifies the conditions of receipt for a
limited set of packets sent from the source end.  If this is
acceptable, the source end system then promotes the priority of the
succeeding IP packets to firmly establish the session.  The network
is only assumed to support a per-class form of priority control,
since this allows the end systems to measure remaining resources
without affecting the existing streams.  If all end systems behave in
the above way, we can achieve specific levels of end-to-end QoS
without maintaining per-flow states in each item of network equipment.

------
         Title           : Verification scenarios for Measurable Forwarding 
PHB (Per-Hop Behavior)
         Author(s)       : N. Morita
         Filename        : draft-morita-tsvwg-mfverify-00.txt
         Pages           : 7
         Date            : 2003-10-31

The Priority Promotion Scheme (PPS) is a new scheme for traffic
control; specifically, the PPS achieves end-to-end QoS for
interactive multimedia services by exercising admission control for
series of packets on a packet-based network.  The scheme is based on
the end-to-end measurement of network resources by end systems.  The
destination end system notifies the conditions of receipt for a
limited set of packets sent from the source end.  If this is
acceptable, the source end system then promotes the priority of the
succeeding IP packets to firmly establish the session.  The network
is only assumed to support a per-class form of priority control,
since this allows the end systems to measure remaining resources
without affecting the existing streams.  If all end systems behave in
the above way, we can achieve specific levels of end-to-end QoS
without maintaining per-flow states in each item of network equipment.
The PPS is based on a new per-hop forwarding behavior, called
measurable forwarding (MF-PHB), which will use the DiffServ
architecture.
In this document, we propose a way to verify whether MF-PHB is
realizable by elaborating configurations of existing equipment.

----------------------------------
Naotaka MORITA, Senior Research Engineer, Supervisor
Network Service Systems Laboratories
Information Sharing Laboratory Group
NTT
3-9-11, Midori-Cho, Musashino-Shi, Tokyo 180-8585 JAPAN
Tel. +81-422-59-7464, ISDN-Fax +81-422-60-4012
E-mail: [email-masked]
MSN messenger: [email-masked]
NTT home page: http://www.ntt.co.jp/about/e/index.html 

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis