Subject: RE: [NSIS] Path Splitting

From: "Geib, Ruediger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 09:14:06 +0100

Robert,

as people may expect I support your position on trading 
perfection for simplicity. By working path coupled, NSIS 
should be able to deal with some load-balancing 
implementations. I don't think it is a good idea to 
design NSIS to be able to deal with all types of route 
change mechanisms. I'd consider a simple protocol working 
with 95% of all networks as a success. Advanced solutions 
may follow.

Regards, Rüdiger

[Dave]
|> - Definition of data flow enforces "unique path". Does this 
|>   mean path splitting is not ok even for flows where 
|>   delivery order doesn't matter?

[Robert]
|My current assumption is: yes, unfortunately.
|It would (probably) be possible for GIMPS to find most or all of 
|the branches of a split flow path. However, it would be hard to
|work out what to tell the NSLPs about this situation - would it
|be necessary (for example) to estimate traffic percentages on 
|each branch and so on.
|
|So, a first guess (in the interests of simplicity) is to just
|to say 'NSIS won't give the full picture if path splitting
|happens'.
|
|This could change if
|- we start to think path splitting is a more common problem
|- we think it's easy to tell the NSLPs something sensible
|(it's easier for NATFW than QoS).
|
|More feedback on either of these (from anyone) would be helpful.

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis