Subject: [NSIS] RE: [Ieprep] Proposed Revised Charter

From: "Ash, Gerald R \(Jerry\), ALABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 18:45:33 -0500

FYI, note references below to possible NSIS requirements coming out of
the IEPREP working group.  I had earlier pointed IEPREP to some of the
NSIS work relevant to the proposed IEPREP charter
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ieprep/current/msg02350.html.

Thanks,
Jerry

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of King, Kimberly S.
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 7:13 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Cc: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]'
Subject: [Ieprep] Proposed Revised Charter

Below is an updated proposed charter for WG review.

---

Internet Emergency Preparedness (ieprep) Charter  

Description of Working Group:  

Effective telecommunications capabilities are imperative to facilitate  
immediate recovery operations for serious disaster events including  
natural disasters (e.g., hurricanes, floods, earthquakes) and those  
created by man (e.g., terrorist attacks, combat situations or wartime  
events). In addition, related capabilities should be usable in normal  
command and control operations of military services, which often have  
timeliness requirements even in peacetime. 

Disasters can happen any time, any place, unexpectedly. Quick response  
for recovery operations requires immediate access to any public  
telecommunications capabilities at hand. These capabilities include:  
conventional telephone, cellular phones, and Internet access via online

terminals, IP telephones, and wireless PDAs. The commercial  
telecommunications infrastructure is rapidly evolving to Internet-based

technology. Therefore, the Internet community needs to consider how it  
can best support emergency management and recovery operations. 

The IEPREP WG will address proactive measures to congestion and recovery

from various outages using three perspectives: 

1. A commercial (i.e., or public) telecommunications infrastructure 

2. A governmental/military or enterprise telecommunications  
infrastructure that retains sole administration of its own network  
resources 

3. A governmental/military telecommunications infrastructure that  
combines private resources and leverages public infrastructure. This  
scenario may be subject to local policies, laws, and regulations.  
Potential disasters for governmental/military  infrastructures can  
extend beyond what might be experienced by the commercial/public sector

and can be anticipated to some degree. 

Proactive mechanisms to address would-be outages are required for each  
of these cases.  

Now that the initial documents describe the broad problem space and its

salient characteristics have been competed, new efforts will  focus on  
specific requirements and solutions such as those  pertaining to the  
governmental/military sector. For example, a document exists in the  
Transport Area working group of interest to IEPREP that could satisfy a

governmental framework/BCP is draft-ietf-tsvwg-mlpp-that-works-XX. This

document will progress to completion in that WG, yet may be the basis of

more work in this IEPREP WG. Some additional efforts on the  
governmental/military track within IEPREP could focus on this TSVWG  
document, analyze gaps, and provide input where needed.  

The following are four specific examples that can satisfy  the interests

of governmental/military (and potentially,  
commercial/public/enterprise) emergency communications:  

1. Conveying information about the priority of specific  flows (or  
sessions) that originate in a VoIP environment.  This could include a  
requirements effort to describe  extensions to NSIS or RSVP.  
Requirements for NSIS would be forwarded to the NSIS working group.  
Requirements for RSVP could be forwarded to tsvwg or worked on in  
IEPREP.  

2. Nested VPNs require special considerations for routing and QoS if  
nodes in the path that make these decisions generally have limited  
information.   

3. Some countries require civil networks to preempt sessions under state

circumstances, and preemption is considered an  absolute requirement in

governmental networks in most countries. Unless implementation of these

requirements can  be objectively shown to threaten network health (via  
simulation or in operations), then the requirement needs to be  
considered by IEPREP and specific solutions must be developed.  

4. Considering robustness of non-real-time applications with  
preferential treatments, as voice will not be the only application used

by IEPREP.  

In the IETF, considerations for treatment and security of emergency  
communications stretch across a number of Areas and Working Groups,  
notably including the various voice/video  signaling working groups,  
instant messaging, and the open Transport Area for path coupled  
signaling and various operational groups. IEPREP will cooperate closely

with these groups and with those outside of the IETF such as various  
ITU-T study groups.   

If there is an existing group that can extend a protocol or mechanism,  
IEPREP will generate only a requirements document for those groups to  
evaluate.  

If there is not an existing group that can extend a protocol or  
mechanism,  IEPREP will prepare requirements and discuss the extension  
of that protocol/mechanism or protocols/mechanisms within  IEPREP. 
 
Goals and Milestones:  

Done Submit initial I-D of Requirements  

Done Submit initial I-D of Framework  

Done Submit initial I-D of Recommendations BCP  

Done Submit Requirements I-D to IESG for publication as an  
Informational RFC  

Done Submit Framework I-D to IESG for publication as an  Informational  
RFC  

Oct 05 Submit an initial I-D of Emergency Threats Analysis  of  
Government/Military Networks  

Dec 05 Submit an initial I-D of Differences between GETS and  MLPP  
Networks  

Feb 06 Submit an initial I-D of Requirements of  Government/Military  
Networks  

Mar 06 Submit an initial I-D of Considerations for potential  solutions

of Government/Military Networks  

Apr 06 Submit an initial I-D of Mechanisms to be used by  
Government/Military Networks  

Oct 05 Submit final I-D of Emergency Threats Analysis of  
Government/Military Networks to IESG as Informational  RFC 
 
Feb 06 Submit final I-D of Requirements of  Government/Military Networks

to IESG as Informational RFC  

Apr 06 Submit final I-D of Mechanisms to be used by  Government/Military

Networks to IESG as BCP RFC  

Dec 06 Submit Recommendations I-D for commercial telecommunications  
infrastructure to IESG for publication as  a BCP  

The working group will discuss re-chartering if additional  efforts are

agreed upon by the WG (for example, work items  related to protocols  
outside existing WGs).  

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis