Subject: RE: [NSIS] RAO value

From: "Hancock, Robert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 13:53:11 -0000

Hi Bernd,

for your first question, AFAIK there are no concrete values 
defined. they would be defined as part of the registration
process for a new NSLPID (see the IANA considerations section
in the GIST spec) - at least, that's how I assume it would be
done.

On the second question, I suspect that the RMD document is
not strictly correct; it should be phrased in terms of NSLPID
values rather than RAO values (the semantics of which message
should be processed where are defined by the NSLPID values; the
RAO value is selected to make interception of messages with
particular NSLPID values as efficient as possible, but doesn't
have semantic significance). And then it is simple: it is a
GIST issue to pull out messages with the right NSLPID by 
configuring the IP layer to look for certain RAO values (or
by any other means), but the only information element visible
at the NSLP level is the NSLPID.

hope this helps,

robert h.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of Bernd Schloer
> Sent: 15 December 2005 22:13
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [NSIS] RAO value
> 
> 
> Hi,
> 
> each NSLP-ID correspondents to a unique RAO value. 
> draft-rmd-04 mentions that there 
> are predefined values to bypass end-to-end RESPONSE messages 
> at QNE Interior nodes. 
> Are these NSLP-IDs and RAO values somewhere defined?
> 
> There's also mentioned that QNE Interior nodes are configured 
> to handle only certain 
> levels of RAO values. Are these RAO values processed at NTLP 
> level or are they passed 
> to the NSLP and handled there?
> 
> Thanks,
> Bernd
> 
> _______________________________________________
> nsis mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis
> 

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Bernd Schloer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 22:19:00 +0100

Hi Robert,

yes, this helped a lot. I just got a litte confused when I read the paragraph in the 
RMD document. Things are much clearer now!

Bernd