Subject: [NSIS] QOSM IANA Status / NSIS Extensibility Doc on QOSMs

From: "Kappler, Cornelia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 11:39:45 +0100

Hi John, 

when studying the NSIS Ext. ID I noticed the text in Sec. 5 needs to be
updated. It is too unprecise currently. 

It says: "New QSPECs require IETF action which defines the elements
within the QSPEC". 

(i) it probably should be "QoS Models" rather than QSPECs. One could go
on and say how new QSPEC parameters (elements???) are defined but this
is detailed in the QSPEC ID so it should suffice to provide a pointer. 

(ii) "IETF Action" what exactly is that? I've recently been studying the
IANA RFC 2434 and this is not defined there. Or is this vague on purpose
/ defined elsewhere?

Along the same lines, when updating the QSPEC IANA section we were
wondering what kind of IETF action is required for defining new QOSMs /
QOSM IDs: Will the QOSM IDs be informational RFCs (=> "specification
required" or "IETF Consensus" in IANA language !?) or standards track
(=> "standards action" in IANA language)? We are currently assuming it
is just "specification required" and updated the QSPEC ID accordingly.
Note this implies that new  _optional_ QSPEC parameters will receive
this same IANA treatment because they can be defined by QOSMs. (New
_mandatory_ QSPEC parameters would require standards action, because
they "MUST be interpreted" by all QNEs)

My proposal for new text in the NSIS Ext ID is "New QoS Models can be
defined by providing a specification. A new QoS Model would define the
QoS parameters to be carried in the QSPEC. For details see [QSPEC ID]". 

Best regards, Cornelia
_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis