Subject: [NSIS] RE: QOSM IANA Status / NSIS Extensibility Doc on QOSMs

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 14:51:37 +0200

when studying the NSIS Ext. ID I noticed the text in Sec. 5 needs to be
updated. It is too unprecise currently. 

	It says: "New QSPECs require IETF action which defines the
elements within the QSPEC". 

	(i) it probably should be "QoS Models" rather than QSPECs. One
could go on and say how new QSPEC parameters (elements???) are defined
but this is detailed in the QSPEC ID so it should suffice to provide a
pointer. 

	Fixed. 

	 (ii) "IETF Action" what exactly is that? I've recently been
studying the IANA RFC 2434 and this is not defined there. Or is this
vague on purpose / defined elsewhere?

	Along the same lines, when updating the QSPEC IANA section we
were wondering what kind of IETF action is required for defining new
QOSMs / QOSM IDs: Will the QOSM IDs be informational RFCs (=>
"specification required" or "IETF Consensus" in IANA language !?) or
standards track (=> "standards action" in IANA language)? We are
currently assuming it is just "specification required" and updated the
QSPEC ID accordingly. Note this implies that new  _optional_ QSPEC
parameters will receive this same IANA treatment because they can be
defined by QOSMs. (New _mandatory_ QSPEC parameters would require
standards action, because they "MUST be interpreted" by all QNEs)

	My proposal for new text in the NSIS Ext ID is "New QoS Models
can be defined by providing a specification. A new QoS Model would
define the QoS parameters to be carried in the QSPEC. For details see
[QSPEC ID]". 

	 IETF action means: 

	<t>Extensions subject to "IETF Action" require either a
Standards Track   RFC, Experimental RFC or an Information RFC.</t> 

	Is this OK? 

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis