Subject: RE: [NSIS] Version number in QSpec

From: "Roy, Radhika R." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 13:28:50 -0500

Andrew:

In addition, I also provided some comments.

BR/Radhika

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Andrew McDonald
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2006 3:06 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [NSIS] Version number in QSpec

Hi,

I noticed that the QSpec Template defines a version number as part of 
the QSpec definition. However, the draft does not specify what to do if 
you receive a QSpec for a different version than the one you support.

Also, what criteria should be used when defining a new QSpec version?

Andrew

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: "Ash, Gerald R \(Jerry\), ALABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:49:05 -0600

Hi Andrew,

See comments in line below.

Thanks,
Jerry

> the QSpec definition. However, the draft does not specify what to do
> if you receive a QSpec for a different version than the one you
> support.

Jerry> Good point, this should be added.  This may require another error
code if the version sent supersedes version supported, or requirement
for backward compatibility with earlier versions if version supported
supersedes version sent.

> Also, what criteria should be used when defining a new QSpec version?

Jerry> The following is specified in Section 9 (IANA Considerations) of
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nsis-qspec-09.txt:

  "QSPEC Version (4 bits):
   The following value is allocated by this specification:
   0: assigned to Version 0 QSPEC
   The allocation policies for further values are as follows:
   1-15: Standards Action"

Is something more required here?

---

From: Andrew McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 10:38:53 +0100

Hi Jerry,

> Is something more required here?

That defines the formal actions that have to take place. I was also 
looking for some text that gives guidance to someone extending this in 
the future. When do I actually need to define a new version? do I have 
to define a new version whenever I add a new parameter? when I add a new 
mandatory parameter? for some other reason?

Also, do new versions have to be backward compatible with old versions? 
e.g. do the mandatory parameters in a new version have to be a superset 
of those in the previous version?

regards,

Andrew