Subject: [NSIS] QoS NSLP receiver initiated reservation

From: Bernd Schloer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:16:50 +0100

Hi Jukka,

in paragraph 4.3 the draft says

"This QUERY message does not need to trigger a RESPONSE message and therefore, 
the QNI must not include the RII object (Section 5.4.2), into the QUERY
message."

The QUERY is send from QNR to QNI. Isn't it the QNR who must not include the RII 
object? What is the meaning of 'must not' here? It is not allowed?

I'm a bit confused by this sentence under the figure 5: "The QUERY message is 
transported by GIST to the next downstream QoS NSLP node." In a sender-initiated 
reservation downstream is from sender(QNI) to receiver(QNR). Is in a receiver 
initiated reservation downstream from sender(QNR) to receiver(QNI)?

And at the end of paragraph 5.4.2 the draft says "Note that QUERY messages with 
the R-bit set should always be answered by the QNR." Isn't it the QNI who should 
answer the QUERY messages?

Thanks,
Bernd

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Jukka MJ Manner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 19:34:40 +0200 (EET)

Hi,
Yes, it seems we have the Is and Rs mixed up pretty nicely...:)

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Bernd Schloer wrote:

> The QUERY is send from QNR to QNI. Isn't it the QNR who must not include the
> RII object? What is the meaning of 'must not' here? It is not allowed?

The QNR sends the QUERY. If it wants to use the QUERY to initiate a 
RESERVE from the QNI (a receiver initiated reservation), then it uses the 
R-bit, and does not need to use RII. A MUST NOT is used, since the RII is 
not needed, and thus could confuse the receiver QNI.

> transported by GIST to the next downstream QoS NSLP node." In a
> sender-initiated reservation downstream is from sender(QNI) to receiver(QNR).
> Is in a receiver initiated reservation downstream from sender(QNR) to
> receiver(QNI)?

This is a bit tricky... As I see it, if you want to query for resources 
before sending a RESERVE yourself, you send the QUERY to the downstream 
QNE. Yet, if you are actually signaling for a receiver initiated 
reservation, then you are sending the message to your future upstream 
node... Rob already commented about these ups and downs being a bit wierd. 
I'll see to those.

> 
> And at the end of paragraph 5.4.2 the draft says "Note that QUERY messages
> with the R-bit set should always be answered by the QNR." Isn't it the QNI who
> should answer the QUERY messages?

Yes, the QNI answers R-bit messages.

Jukka

---

From: Bernd Schloer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 19:00:57 +0100

Hi Jukka,

> node...

Does message here mean QUERY? But that would be the opposite meaning. That was 
also my understanding that the QUERY is sent from the sender(QNR) to the 
receiver(QNI) upstream. I guess here is no wrong or right. It's just a matter of 
the perspective.

Bernd