Subject: RE: [NSIS] QSPEC document

From: "Loughney John \(Nokia-NRC/PaloAlto\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 21:37:31 +0200

Hi Jerry,

That would be the plan. We'll run a tight last call. All changes will need substantial support on the mailing list. Let's finish this up, because having no standard is not a good solution

John

sent from my Nokia E61

--- original message ---
From: "ext Ash, Gerald R \(Jerry\), ALABS" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: [NSIS] QSPEC document
Date: 19th January 2007
Time: 11:31:24 pm

Hi John,
 
Per your request, I provide below a summary of the agreed-to
changes/updates to the QSPEC draft
http://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nsis-qspec-13.txt, based on
the list discussion over the last few weeks.

I plan to update the draft according to these changes and submit in the
next day or two.  Hopefully then we'll be ready to go to WGLC on the
document?

Thanks,
Regards,
Jerry

There were 3 issues being debated at length on the list, summarized here
by Georgios:
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nsis/current/msg07374.html

Editor responses to these 3 issues are here:
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nsis/current/msg07402.html

to which you responded:
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nsis/current/msg07407.html

and further declared consensus on these 3 issues as follows:
1. http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nsis/current/msg07408.html
2. http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nsis/current/msg07409.html
3. http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nsis/current/msg07410.html

Based on the declared consensus in 1, 2, and 3 above the following
changes are agreed to:

1. Add the following text to Section 4.3.3 (Traffic Handling
Directives):

"Note that QOSM specifications SHOULD NOT define new RMF functions
required by a QOSM UNLESS such NSIS signaling functionality is defined
in QoS NSLP [QoS-SIG].  That is, a QOSM is not allowed to extend QoS
NSLP signaling functionality; new RMF functions are specified only
within a QoS NSLP signaling framework."

2. Add the following text to Section 5.1 (Local QSPEC Definition &
Processing):

"Note that it is possible to use, at the same time, both a) tunneling a
QSPEC through a local domain by initiating a new RESERVE at the domain
edge, and b) defining a local QSPEC and encapsulating the initiator
QSPEC, as defined above."

3. Add the following text to Section 4.1 (QoS Models):

"Signaling functionality is only defined by the QoS NSLP document
[QoS-SIG] and not by this document."

Also based on list discussion, these changes have been agreed to:

4. Add the following text to Section 4.1 (QoS Models), and also
reference specifically in Section 4.3.3 (Traffic Handling Directives):

"QOSMs are free, subject to IANA registration and review rules, to
extend QSPECs by adding parameters of any of the kinds supported by the
standard QSPEC.  This includes traffic description parameters,
constraint parameters and traffic handling directives. QOSMs are not
permitted, however, to reinterpret or redefine the standard QSPEC  
parameters specified in this document."

5. In Section 5.1 (Local QSPEC Definition & Processing), last paragraph:
 
Change:
"For example, RMD can define a local QSPEC that contains TMOD =
bandwidth (sets r=p, b/m to large)."

Into:
"For example, in RMD the TMOD parameters contained in the original
initiator QSPEC are mapped into the equivalent TMOD parameter
representing only the peak bandwidth in the local QSPEC."

6. In Section 6.1 (General QSPEC Formats):
Remove the sentence
"N Flag: Not-supported QSPEC parameter flag (see Section 5.2.2).  For
QSPEC parameters the value of this flag is always zero."

________________________________

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2007 7:16 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [NSIS] QSPEC document

Jerry, 

Could you send an update on the current status on the QSPEC? I think we
were wrapping up most of the open issues, but it might be good to have a
summary of where we stand on this.  When do you think that you can
update the document?

thanks, 
John 

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis