Subject: [NSIS] NSIS User's guide

From: Jukka MJ Manner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 22:21:21 +0200 (EET)

Hi all,

Roland and I started to write a "NSIS user's guide", a document describing 
in short what NSIS is, how would you make use of it, and how can you 
extended it. Unfortunately, I missed the 00-draft deadline by a few 
minutes last week. :(

The draft will be submitted once the I-D admin accepts new documents again 
in early December. The draft can be found below. We would naturally like 
to see some discussion about whether people feel such a document would be 
useful (marketing) material for our work, and if so, is our draft a good 
or bad start.

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/jmanner/draft-manner-nsis-user-guide-00.txt

BR, Jukka

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Max Laier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 11:07:44 +0100

On Tuesday 20 November 2007, Jukka MJ Manner wrote:
> The draft will be submitted once the I-D admin accepts new documents
> again in early December. The draft can be found below. We would
> naturally like to see some discussion about whether people feel such a
> document would be useful (marketing) material for our work, and if so,
> is our draft a good or bad start.
>

A good read and useful first introduction.  Some things that caught my 
eye:

Section 8.4. "New NSLP protocols" could benefit from a reference to 
I-D.ietf-nsis-ntlp Appendix B. "API between GIST and Signalling 
Applications".

Maybe Fig. 1 as follows:
             +-----+ +--------+ +-------+
             |     | |        | |       |
             | QoS | | NAT/FW | |  ...  |       NSLP
             |     | |        | |       |
             +-----+ +--------+ +-------+
   ----------------------------------------------------------------------
             +--------------------------+
             |                          |
             |          GIST            |       NTLP
             |                          |
             +--------------------------+
   ----------------------------------------------------------------------
             +--------------------------+
             |           TLS            |
             +--------------------------+
             +--------------------------+
             | TCP | UDP | SCTP | DCCP  |
             +--------------------------+
             +--------------------------+
             |         IPsec            |
             +--------------------------+
             +--------------------------+
             | IPv4(+RAO)  | IPv6(+RAO) |
             +--------------------------+

The document doesn't mention IPv6 at all.  Eventhough it should be 
considered common place by now, I still think it's worth mentioning.

And three nits:

    birds of a feather session on Wednesday 21st March *2001* at the 50th

                                                        ... only a router
    that runs GIST and the corresponding NSLP will take the packet out of
    the fast path, and *start* processing it within GIST.  ...

                                              If fragmentation is
    required it automatically establishes an MA and sends the
    signaling traffic over *a reliable protocol*.

-- 
/"\  Best regards,                      | [email-masked]
\ /  Max Laier                          | ICQ #67774661
 X   http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/  | mlaier@EFnet
/ \  ASCII Ribbon Campaign              | Against HTML Mail and News
_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Jukka MJ Manner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 13:22:44 +0200 (EET)

Hi Max,

Thank you for the feedback. You are right, the issue of IPv4/IPv6 must be 
spelled out better in a revision (and the language fixed ;).

Jukka