Subject: [NSIS] Mobility Implementation Question

From: Max Laier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 20:28:35 +0100

Hi,

we are currently pondering about how to best implement mobility aware 
QoS-signaling.

One of the first stumbling block I hit so far is that the mobility draft 
suggests that all signaling for the route-optimized case should be done 
using the CoA as the source/destination of the flow.  i.e. signaling is 
done for the actual flow rather than for the logical one.  This certainly 
makes sense, but any potential application that uses e.g. QoS-NSLP as a 
service will ask for a reservation for the *logical* flow as it is 
anaware of MobileIP (and should be).  So the questions becomes where 
should the translation from logical to actual flow take place.

I believe that mobility management should be taken care of within the NTLP 
layer as the NSLP should not have to be concerned with the actual message 
routing.  Currently I have two possible sollutions to the problem which 
I'd like to hear feedback about:

1) Extend the GIST-to-NSLP API with a type of NetworkNotification that is 
able to convey Address-Binding-Information and let the NSLP figure out if 
this information is relevant to any of it's sessions.

2) Use a similar approach as the MRITS described in [1].  This would take 
place in the MN / CN respectively and translate the MRI according to the 
BindingCache (and/or the routing header).

I feel that the second option might be easier to implement and could help 
to reduce the amount of duplication. i.e. this way only the NTLP has to 
interact with the mobility layer and the NSLP can be mostly oblivious of 
the fact that it is in fact mobile.  The NTLP would obviously still have 
to send some kind of trigger in case of a BindingUpdate, but that could 
be a normal NetworkNotification for the HoA.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

P.S. How does the QoS-NSLP translate the packet classifier in a GaNAT 
environment.  I'm not completely through the nattraversal-darf, yet and 
would appreciate any pointers.

[1]http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pashalidis-nsis-gimps-nattraversal-05#section-5.3

-- 
/"\  Best regards,                      | [email-masked]
\ /  Max Laier                          | ICQ #67774661
 X   http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/  | mlaier@EFnet
/ \  ASCII Ribbon Campaign              | Against HTML Mail and News
_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Max Laier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 20:51:57 +0100

On Wednesday 12 December 2007, I wrote:
> ...
>
> 2) Use a similar approach as the MRITS described in [1].  This would
> take place in the MN / CN respectively and translate the MRI according
> to the BindingCache (and/or the routing header).

Correction.  Obviously it won't use the routing header as the translation 
would ensure that the message is sent from/to the CoA and thus doesn't 
carry any routing headers.