Subject: [NSIS] Multi-level NAT and draft-ietf-nsis-nslp-natfw-20

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 14:10:57 +0100

Hi,

I am a bit concerned with the handling of multi-level of NATs by the
document. As currently defined it will force all flows to be pinned to
the edge-NAT. As I understand there are no mechanism on how to optimize
this route when the DR is behind the same NAT, or on a higher layer.

 Ni  --192.168.0/24-- NAT1  -- 10.0.0.0/8 --- NAT2 Internet (public IP)
                             |
 Nr1 --192.168.0/24-- NAT3  --
                             |
                             Nr2 10.1.2.3

So the above diagram shows on Ni and two Nrs.

1. Ni -> Nr1: Both Ni and Nr1 does external towards NAT2 and get an
external address+port binding. Then they exchange that external binding
and all traffic gets pinned to NAT2 instead of taking shortes path by
NAT1 to NAT3 directly. However to do that Nr1 and Ni both needs to be
aware that they also have the address on the external side of NAT1 and
NAT3 respectively. If you run ICE and actually have a STUN server in the
10/8 network configured you can actually get the shorter path to work.
If the NATFW NSLP would provide with all external addresses you have
towards the public network it could allow for optimizations.

2. In case two Ni -> Nr2 is even more obvious. Pinning this to NAT2 is
an important fall back, but allowing for trying might be worth it.

Please note that if there are overlapping address domains between Ni and
the public Internet the regular routing will not necessary allow sending
the packet to the right domain.

This also makes it important to present the address as having different
utility. The NAT2 external binding address would be the default as it is
most likely to work. However, the NAT1 external address is also useful
for certain applications.

I don't know how difficult this is to address.

Comments?

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------