Subject: Re: [NSIS] AD review of draft-ietf-nsis-y1541-qosm-07

From: Al Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 14:54:39 -0500

NSIS WG,

At 08:47 AM 10/16/2009, Magnus Westerlund wrote:
>3. Section 3.1: What are the definitions of the Bp and M parameter?

Those of us who have discussed Magnus' comment above are
trying to agree on a path forward.

Both parameters have standard definitions:
A reference definition for M, max datagram size, is in RFC 2212.
ITU-T Y.1221 seems to be the only standard where Bp,
the peak Bucket Size of a dual token bucket is specified.

I have proposed removing Bp because the additional complexity
of a dual token bucket is not essential to the main subject
of the draft (the Y.1541 classes).
I have asked at this week's ITU-T meeting, and the only implementors
of ITU-T Y.1221 indicated that they were not using Bp,
only the parameters for a single token bucket.

Jerry Ash would like to retain Bp, citing the informational
ITU-T Supplement referenced in the draft, and indicated that
dual token buckets are well-established and non-controversial.

Others have asked me to phrase the question to the list.
So, with the above background, should we simplify and drop Bp,
or keep it in?

thanks and regards,
Al