Subject: [NSIS] I-D Action:draft-ietf-nsis-ntlp-sctp-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 09:30:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Next Steps in Signaling Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : General Internet Signaling Transport (GIST) over SCTP and Datagram TLS
	Author(s)       : X. Fu, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-nsis-ntlp-sctp-08.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2010-01-20

The General Internet Signaling Transport (GIST) protocol currently
uses TCP or TLS over TCP for connection mode operation.  This
document describes the usage of GIST over the Stream Control
Transmission Protocol (SCTP) and Datagram Transport Layer Security
(DTLS).  The use of SCTP can take advantage of features provided by
SCTP, namely streaming-based transport, support of multiple streams
to avoid head of line blocking, the support of multi-homing to
provide network level fault tolerance, as well as partial reliability
extension for partially reliable data transmission.  This document
also specifies how to establish GIST security over datagram transport
protocols using an extension to DTLS.

Status of this Memo

This Internet-Draft is submitted to IETF in full conformance with the
provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79.

Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
Drafts.

Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

This Internet-Draft will expire on July 24, 2010.Copyright Notice

Copyright (c) 2010 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
document authors.  All rights reserved.

This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal
Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
(http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of
publication of this document.  Please review these documents
carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect
to this document.  Code Components extracted from this document must
include Simplified BSD License text as described in Section 4.e of
the Trust Legal Provisions and are provided without warranty as
described in the BSD License.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nsis-ntlp-sctp-08.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Jukka Manner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 20:34:53 +0200

Dear all,

The SCTP transport for GIST has been on our agenda. However, there has 
been little discussion about it in the last few years. The chairs and 
our AD want to see active discussion and clear support for the work to 
warrant us spending more cycles on it, similar to the tunneling 
document. We already have TCP and UDP available, SCTP (and DCCP) has 
well-known deployment challenges, and lack of clear use case and 
"client" for the work. If there is no strong support, we will drop the 
item at this stage, and come back to it later (in some form or another) 
if a clear need for the work arises.

Regards,
Jukka

On 20.1.2010 19:30, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> nsis mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

-- 
Jukka MJ Manner, Professor, PhD.  Phone:  +358+(0)9+470 22481
Aalto University                  Mobile: +358+(0)50+5112973
Department of Communications      Fax:    +358+(0)9+470 22474
and Networking (Comnet)           Office: G320a (Otakaari 5A)
P.O. Box 13000, FIN-00076 Aalto   E-mail: [email-masked]
Finland                           www.netlab.hut.fi/~jmanner/

---

From: Roland Bless <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 20:52:38 +0100

Hi Jukka and all,

> our AD want to see active discussion and clear support for the work to

We support this draft. We also implemented it, i.e., our implementation
supports SCTP, too. The DTLS part is new, however, though we have to
check it...

> "client" for the work. If there is no strong support, we will drop the

I think that SCTP can be beneficially used within or between network
domains for longer term MAs, i.e. when NAT traversal isn't an issue.
Since SCTP was primarily designed for transport of signaling data, e.g.,
one can advantageously multiplex different NSLP sessions onto different
streams.

Regards,
 Roland

---

From: "Georgios Karagiannis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 10:39:26 +0100

Dear Jukka, Dear all

I am supporting the work presented in this draft!

Best regards,
Georgios

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of Jukka Manner
> Sent: woensdag 20 januari 2010 19:35
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [NSIS] I-D Action:draft-ietf-nsis-ntlp-sctp-08.txt
> 
> Dear all,
> 
> The SCTP transport for GIST has been on our agenda. However, 
> there has been little discussion about it in the last few 
> years. The chairs and our AD want to see active discussion 
> and clear support for the work to warrant us spending more 
> cycles on it, similar to the tunneling document. We already 
> have TCP and UDP available, SCTP (and DCCP) has well-known 
> deployment challenges, and lack of clear use case and 
> "client" for the work. If there is no strong support, we will 
> drop the item at this stage, and come back to it later (in 
> some form or another) if a clear need for the work arises.
> 
> Regards,
> Jukka
> 
> > uses TCP or TLS over TCP for connection mode operation.  
> This document 
> > describes the usage of GIST over the Stream Control Transmission 
> > Protocol (SCTP) and Datagram Transport Layer Security 
> (DTLS).  The use 
> > of SCTP can take advantage of features provided by SCTP, namely 
> > streaming-based transport, support of multiple streams to 
> avoid head 
> > of line blocking, the support of multi-homing to provide 
> network level 
> > fault tolerance, as well as partial reliability extension for 
> > partially reliable data transmission.  This document also specifies 
> > how to establish GIST security over datagram transport 
> protocols using 
> > an extension to DTLS.
> >
> > Status of this Memo
> >
> > Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet 
> Engineering Task 
> > Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that other 
> > groups may also distribute working documents as Internet- Drafts.
> >
> > include Simplified BSD License text as described in Section 
> 4.e of the 
> > Trust Legal Provisions and are provided without warranty as 
> described 
> > in the BSD License.
> >