Subject: [NSIS] [Fwd: Posting of IPR Disclosure related to Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson (publ)'s Statement about IPR related to draft-ietf-nsis-rmd-17]

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 13:36:45 -0400

I am not happy to see this IPR disclosure showing up so late in the 
process.
This document has been around for many, many years and only now when the 
document is about to get published as an RFC the IPR disclosure shows up.

Ciao
Hannes

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[NSIS] Posting of IPR Disclosure related to 
Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson (publ)'s Statement about IPR related to 
draft-ietf-nsis-rmd-17
Date: 	Thu, 25 Mar 2010 10:07:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: 	IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
To: 	[email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked], [email-masked]
CC: 	[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked]

Dear Thomas Phelan, Attila Bader, Attila Takacs, Hannes Tschofenig, Cornelia Kappler, Georgios Karagiannis, Lars Westberg, Andras Csaszar:

An IPR disclosure that pertains to your Internet-Draft entitled "RMD-QOSM - The
Resource Management in Diffserv QOS Model" (draft-ietf-nsis-rmd) was submitted
to the IETF Secretariat on 2010-03-24 and has been posted on the "IETF Page of
Intellectual Property Rights Disclosures"
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1302/). The title of the IPR disclosure is
"Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson (publ)'s Statement about IPR related to
draft-ietf-nsis-rmd-17."

The IETF Secretariat

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 10:53:04 -0700

> document is about to get published as an RFC the IPR disclosure shows up.

Hannes,

I will comment on this from a perspective as an Ericsson employee rather
than as AD. It will be Lars that needs to judge if the IETF last call
needs to be re-run based on the this failure from Ericsson to timely
update the statement.

I would like to point out that the WG should have been aware of the IPR
on the individual draft as seen in this statement:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/442/

Also the first 4 WG versions of the document did contain the statement
in the body. Which is the wrong way of doing things.

So this is only a case of failure to submit an update. Something that
was realized just the other day by the authors.

Regards

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Georgios Karagiannis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 19:44:31 +0000

Hi Hannes

The IPR on RMD was disclosed on the 2nd of August by Attila Bader per
email to the NSIS list, see:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nsis/current/msg04263.html

This IPR disclosure statement was stored in a datatracker on the 3rd of
August 2004, see:

Afterwards the same IPR disclosure was included in Section 12 of the
first 4  versions of the RMD-QOSM draft, see:

http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-ietf-nsis-rmd-00.txt

http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-ietf-nsis-rmd-01.txt

http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-ietf-nsis-rmd-02.txt

http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-ietf-nsis-rmd-03.txt

I thought that this issue was already handled, until I started using the
new IETF searching tool and saw that its report provides a possibility
to check whether a draft has associated IPR disclosures. I have done
that with RMD-QOSM and saw that the RMD-QOSM did not have the already
published in 2004 IPR disclosure and informed the transport area
directors about it, since I knew that Attila Bader some years ago
published the IPR disclosure.

Sorry for the casued inclonvenience!

Best regards,
Georgios

Actually, an IPR

---

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 16:23:03 -0400

Thank you Georgios and Magnus for the clarification.

---

From: "Martin Stiemerling" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 21:39:11 +0100

Hi all,

I personally did know about IPR being attached to the draft. I have learned by the time of posting of https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/442/. 

  Martin

[email-masked]

NEC Laboratories Europe - Network Research Division
NEC Europe Limited | Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL | Registered in England 2832014 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Magnus Westerlund
> Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2010 6:53 PM
> To: Hannes Tschofenig
> Cc: 'NSIS'
> Subject: Re: [NSIS] [Fwd: Posting of IPR Disclosure related to
> draft-ietf-nsis-rmd-17]