Subject: [ntpwg] [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ntp-ntpv4-proto-06.txt]

From: brian at innovationslab.net (Brian Haberman)
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 07:09:25 -0400

All,
     This -06 version *should* be very close to complete.  Please
provide any feedback on issues found with it.  This version does not
contain the control and monitoring specification.  The chairs have
decided to provide that in a separate internet-draft.

Regards,
Brian

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ntp-ntpv4-proto-06.txt
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 18:50:02 -0400
From: Internet-Drafts at ietf.org
Reply-To: internet-drafts at ietf.org
To: i-d-announce at ietf.org
CC: ntpwg at lists.ntp.isc.org

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network Time Protocol Working Group of
the IETF.

	Title		: Network Time Protocol Version 4 Protocol And Algorithms
Specification
	Author(s)	: J. Burbank, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ntp-ntpv4-proto-06.txt
	Pages		: 108
	Date		: 2007-5-31
	
The Network Time Protocol (NTP) is widely used to synchronize
   computer clocks in the Internet.  This document describes NTP Version
   4 (NTPv4), which is backwards compatible with NTP Version 3 (NTPv3)
   described in RFC 1305, as well as previous versions of the protocol.
   It includes a modified protocol header to accommodate the Internet
   Protocol Version 6 address family.  NTPv4 includes fundamental
   improvements in the mitigation and discipline algorithms which extend
   the potential accuracy to the tens of microseconds with modern
   workstations and fast LANs.  It includes a dynamic server discovery
   scheme, so that in many cases specific server configuration is not
   required.  It corrects certain errors in the NTPv3 design and
   implementation and includes an optional extension mechanism.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ntp-ntpv4-proto-06.txt

---

From: mayer at ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer)
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 08:03:00 -0400

> decided to provide that in a separate internet-draft.

That's okay as long as the NTP packet modes are defined in this draft
unless you want the separate draft as extending this draft.

Danny

---

From: brian at innovationslab.net (Brian Haberman)
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 08:43:16 -0400

> unless you want the separate draft as extending this draft.

My thought was to leave section 3 of the protocol spec as is and have
the new control/monitoring spec refer to this one.

If you know of any other referential issues with having the control spec
separate, please let me know.

Thanks,
Brian

---

From: mills at udel.edu (David L. Mills)
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 23:56:52 +0000

Brian,

You might insert a note that the C&M specification will be the subject 
of a companion document. THe idea is to let the reader know this issue 
has not been forgotten.

Dave

Brian Haberman wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> ntpwg mailing list
> ntpwg at lists.ntp.isc.org
> https://lists.ntp.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/ntpwg

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: https://lists.ntp.isc.org/pipermail/ntpwg/attachments/20070601/8ac25722/attachment.html