Subject: Re: [ntpwg] RFC 5905 on Network Time Protocol Version 4: Protocol and

From: James Cloos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 20:30:29 -0400

[SIGH]

How did this factually inaccurate nonsense make it into the RFC?:

,----< excerpt from RFC 5905 >
|  31 Dec 1999 | 51,543     | 0   | 3,155,587,200 | Last day 20th Century |
`----

There is no question that 2000/Dec/31 is the last day of the 2nd
Millenium, 20th Century, 200th Decade and 2000th year.  And that
2001/Jan/01 is the first day of the 3rd Millenium, 21st Century,
201st Decade and 2001st year.

[SIGH] ad infinitum ;(

I hope that is the only error in the NTP RFC set.  And that it gets
fixed before ntp advances from RFC to STD!

(Thankfully that is the only issue I noticed while skimming through them.)

-JimC
-- 
James Cloos <[email-masked]>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6
_______________________________________________
ntpwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.ntp.org/listinfo/ntpwg

---

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 17:35:33 +0100

On 24/06/2010 01:30, James Cloos wrote:
> ,----<  excerpt from RFC 5905>
> There is no question
Well I would not say that there is NO question see :

http://physics.nist.gov/News/Releases/questions.html

Which says : " This is a date that no organization, including NIST, has 
the authority to regulate...."

Although I accept that the following is a view with a very significant 
degree of consensus.

> that 2000/Dec/31 is the last day of the 2nd
The correct way forward is for you to file an errata informing readers 
of this version of the spec, and the editors of the next, of the error.
> (Thankfully that is the only issue I noticed while skimming through them.)
- Stewart