Subject: [ntpwg] RFC 5906 on Network Time Protocol Version 4: Autokey Specification

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 15:57:32 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5906

        Title:      Network Time Protocol Version 4: 
                    Autokey Specification 
        Author:     B. Haberman, Ed.,
                    D. Mills
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      58
        Characters: 140145
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ntp-autokey-08.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5906.txt

This memo describes the Autokey security model for authenticating
servers to clients using the Network Time Protocol (NTP) and public
key cryptography.  Its design is based on the premise that IPsec
schemes cannot be adopted intact, since that would preclude stateless
servers and severely compromise timekeeping accuracy.  In addition,
Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) schemes presume authenticated time
values are always available to enforce certificate lifetimes;
however, cryptographically verified timestamps require interaction
between the timekeeping and authentication functions.

This memo includes the Autokey requirements analysis, design
principles, and protocol specification.  A detailed description of
the protocol states, events, and transition functions is included.  A
prototype of the Autokey design based on this memo has been
implemented, tested, and documented in the NTP version 4 (NTPv4)
software distribution for the Unix, Windows, and Virtual Memory
System (VMS) operating systems at http://www.ntp.org.  This 
document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is
published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the Network Time Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
ntpwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.ntp.org/listinfo/ntpwg