Subject: [ntpwg] RFC 5905 on Network Time Protocol Version 4: Protocol and Algorithms Specification

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 15:56:06 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5905

        Title:      Network Time Protocol Version 4: 
                    Protocol and Algorithms Specification 
        Author:     D. Mills, J. Martin, Ed., J. Burbank,
                    W. Kasch
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked]
        Pages:      110
        Characters: 241096
        Obsoletes:  RFC1305, RFC4330

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ntp-ntpv4-proto-13.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5905.txt

The Network Time Protocol (NTP) is widely used to synchronize
computer clocks in the Internet.  This document describes NTP version
4 (NTPv4), which is backwards compatible with NTP version 3 (NTPv3),
described in RFC 1305, as well as previous versions of the protocol.
NTPv4 includes a modified protocol header to accommodate the Internet
Protocol version 6 address family.  NTPv4 includes fundamental
improvements in the mitigation and discipline algorithms that extend
the potential accuracy to the tens of microseconds with modern
workstations and fast LANs.  It includes a dynamic server discovery
scheme, so that in many cases, specific server configuration is not
required.  It corrects certain errors in the NTPv3 design and
implementation and includes an optional extension mechanism.  
[STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Network Time Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
ntpwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.ntp.org/listinfo/ntpwg

---

From: Danny Mayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 22:41:45 -0400

Congratulations Dave! (and of course Karen and Brian).

Danny

---

From: Karen O'Donoghue <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 21:54:03 -0400

Congratulations and thanks to all who helped the NTP WG reach this 
milestone. This includes all the writers, editors, reviewers, and NTP 
developers. I hesitate to name names for fear of leaving someone 
important out, but you know who you are! And of course, a special 
acknowledgment to Dave Mills from whence comes NTP. I deeply appreciate 
all your contributions!

Thanks,
Karen