Subject: [ntpwg] [Errata Verified] RFC5906 (4026)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 10:57:07 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been verified for RFC5906,
"Network Time Protocol Version 4: Autokey Specification". 

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=5906&eid=4026

--------------------------------------
Status: Verified
Type: Editorial

Reported by: Tal Mizrahi <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2014-06-25
Verified by: Brian Haberman (IESG)

Section: 10

Original Text
-------------
One or more extension fields follow the NTP packet header and the
   last followed by the MAC.  The extension field parser initializes a
   pointer to the first octet beyond the NTP packet header and
   calculates the number of octets remaining to the end of the packet.
   If the remaining length is 20 (128-bit digest plus 4-octet key ID) or
   22 (160-bit digest plus 4-octet key ID), the remaining data are the
   MAC and parsing is complete.  If the remaining length is greater than
   22, an extension field is present.  If the remaining length is less
   than 8 or not a multiple of 4, a format error has occurred and the
   packet is discarded; otherwise, the parser increments the pointer by
   the extension field length and then uses the same rules as above to
   determine whether a MAC is present or another extension field.

Corrected Text
--------------
One or more extension fields follow the NTP packet header and the
   last followed by the MAC.  The extension field parser initializes a
   pointer to the first octet beyond the NTP packet header and
   calculates the number of octets remaining to the end of the packet.
   If the remaining length is 20 (128-bit digest plus 4-octet key ID) or
   24 (160-bit digest plus 4-octet key ID), the remaining data are the
   MAC and parsing is complete.  If the remaining length is greater than
   24, an extension field is present.  If the remaining length is less
   than 8 or not a multiple of 4, a format error has occurred and the
   packet is discarded; otherwise, the parser increments the pointer by
   the extension field length and then uses the same rules as above to
   determine whether a MAC is present or another extension field.

Notes
-----
The original text stated that a MAC is present if the remaining length is 20 octets or 22 octets. This was a typo; the correct statement is that a MAC is present if the remaining length is 20 octets or *24 octets*.

--------------------------------------
RFC5906 (draft-ietf-ntp-autokey-08)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Network Time Protocol Version 4: Autokey Specification
Publication Date    : June 2010
Author(s)           : B. Haberman, Ed., D. Mills
Category            : INFORMATIONAL
Source              : Network Time Protocol
Area                : Internet
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG
_______________________________________________
ntpwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.ntp.org/listinfo/ntpwg